Newer Eden stuff as good as the older stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ric426, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Thinking about throwing my budgetary plans out the window and one of the amps I'm looking at is a used WT550. The thing is, I've been out of the scene for a while and I'm not up on the changes with some of the companies like Eden. I know they've changed ownership at least once and David Nordschow isn't with them any more. How is the quality of the new stuff like the WT550? Is it even made in the US anymore? If it isn't I'll stick with my other budget busting choice and get a used Walkabout. I *know* those are a safe bet.
  2. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

The WT550s are probably among the most reliable Edens. Their design and manufacture survived the ownership transitions. Used ones are usually affordable and reliable.

For other Eden models, Chinese build quality was thought to be an improvement for several lines. I wouldn't discriminate against country of manufacture origin in this circumstance.
  3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I have a few Eden amps. An original 1998 WT400 that has been rock solid since purchased in '98 and I have recently been trying the WTX light weight line. They are made in China and so far after 2 years have proved to be as reliable as my WT400. I personally like the Eden tone and enjoy the WTX500 on my weekly gigs in a rock / alt cover band. It pairs well with my Bergantino AE410. I also have a Walkabout that I use for more vintage tones. I wouldn't discriminate against country of origin either. I would recommend you listen to both the Walkabout and the Eden WT550 as they are very different tones. The WT550 is a much more clean and controlled sound both down low and up high. The Walkabout nails that tube quality found mostly in all tube bass amps. Rich harmonics and breaks up nicely for low gain duty.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying Eden new today but there was a time where their quality had dropped and customer service was virtually non existent during one of their acquisitions. The reputation that was destroyed during this period was sadly never regained again. I'm not sure but I believe that period was from 2004/5-09 ish. You may want to do your research to avoid buying used in that period.

Eden has most recently been purchased by Marshall and there have been very positive customer service threads dealing with Marshall since the acquisition over on the Eden Forum site.
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

I wouldn't worry about the place of manufacture anymore.
    That ship has unfortunately long since sailed.
    There's none that I can name that are "totally" built from U.S. manufactured parts.
    Most amps available in the U.S. are "designed and assembled" here with the parts coming from everywhere.
    Some manufacturers amps will have it printed on their chassis, "designed and assembled in the U.S.A."
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The simple answer is 'no'. Eden really hit the bottom a few years ago, and product like the WT1250 were very poorly received. Service and support went to almost nothing over the past 5 years.

However, since Marshall purchased them a year ago or so, there MIGHT be some hope for that brand (which I agree was an industry standard for over a decade prior to the sale of the company. I have heard very little about the impact of the sale, but saw a post on some sort of DNA facebook page or something that the original owner/founder was doing some design/consulting work with the 'new Eden' (again, who knows if that post was accurate, but it came from Dave N. himself).

I would wait a year before considering anything from that brand at this point IMO.
  7. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

From what I've heard they had a few problems with QC during the transition but I have also heard they seem to be back on track.

I don't think the stuff is assembled in the US anymore. I"ve had this discussion about the switching to forgien (sp?) assembly, as I was a bit bummed at the time, on the Eden forum a while back. I got the explanation that some of the QC (soldering, and assembly) was actually worse at the US facility than overseas. I was quite surprised!
  8. willsellout

willsellout

You see more Genz Benz or GK amp trouble threads than you do Eden trouble threads, if that counts for anything:). It could be that no one is buying them, or it could be that their quality is as good as anyone else's (this is my opinion).

If it were me and I was looking, I'd go for an older US made Eden. They are inexpensive and they are built to last, unlike many of the newer lightweight heads are.
  9. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Even though I'm a big fan of Eden products I believe this is a case where the people who frequent this forum are not Eden users. From what I've been able to ascertain from all the sites I've found discussing Eden equipment, Eden quality is on par with all the others. Only the odd problems that vary in magnitude seemingly related to quality control. Ampeg (PFseries) and GK (MBseries) seem to have more consistent repeat issues of the same problems with some of their units that range from minor to major faults.

This is why I can't tell others to pass Eden buy if they like the pro sound, feel, and touch of Eden products.

Along with Markbass, KJung is a big endorser of Genz products, and with good cause. Their products are excellent and their customer service history is excellent. I personally have tried a few of Genz' latest offerings and they're just not my sound. Everyone's different. :)

At this point I can see no reason to steer away from Eden if that's what you like. In North America companies are obligated to provide warranties with their products. If one were to have an issue with an Eden, they would still get warranty service.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would have to say those big power resistors used to drop the voltage for the preamps was a quality design feature! Melting solder, burnt PCBs and intermittent operation are high quality repeated on many models ;)
  11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

You do have a point there. However, that design was on all of the WTseries even the ultra reliable 90's ones. To this day most of them are still running problem free. Despite the questionable design, they for the most part seem to be reliable.

B-String is referring to a design issue on the WT's where given a certain set of circumstances some resisters that were mounted directly on the circuit board could get hot enough to damage their own soldier connections. Here's a link:

http://ivanrichards.com.au/2012/10/09/mod-for-the-david-eden-wt800-bass-amp/

The WT550 does not share that same design of having the preamp power drop resisters mounted to the circuit board as the WT550 was the final design evolution of the WT300 and that issue was corrected from what I can tell.
  12. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

The power resistor issue doesn't worry me even if the WT550 still used them. I've seen the mod that's been listed on TalkBass to mount better resistors on the chassis and I've got enough electronics experience, that I wouldn't hesitate to do that if I bought a used amp that needed it.
  13. willsellout

willsellout

The WT550 is still one of the best amplifiers on the market. Such sweet tone, and plenty of power, especially with the ability to run at 2 ohms.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Gigged a WT400 for almost a decade. +1 Great box, and the WT550 is nice also. No issue on the original design and tone. SO much bad happened over the past 5 or 6 years, and very little information about what Marshall is going to do with the brand.

I'm hoping they do bring that brand back to at least some of its past glory. Still very valid designs (assuming the inside of the WT550 looks relatively similar to the original.
  15. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah I've spent a lot of time with various Eden heads and love them to death. It was sad to see the downfall over the last few years. I'm with you in hoping that Marshall does something great with them.
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The Walkabout idea is solid, too. Great sounding amp, (the best imo), BUT, at 300 watts, many find it's not quite powerful enough. It works for me, but only paired with larger cabs, not the Scout 12 combo.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably. They had a downturn when U.S. Music bought them, but I think things are back on track now.
  18. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

have a wt550 and a wtx260....the power switch was getting spotty on the 550...they sent me a new one, quick easy fix....other than that...both have been awesome, solid, reliable, quiet
  19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I've been playing my WT550 for the past four years without any issues and it will stay in my arsenal for as long as it wants.....
  20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Just a thought... :meh:

A couple years ago, I picked up an Eden Nemesis RS700 bass head - right here in the TalkBass classifieds. For those who are unacquainted, Nemesis was Eden's brand of "budget" amps & cabs that they started up in 1996, and finally discontinued just a few years ago.

I currently own a Nemesis NC210 combo amp in addition to the RS700 head, and I can tell you that while the cabs probably deserve the label of "budget", the amps are a very pleasant surprise - with a sweet Eden-like tone that can definitely compete with some of Eden's finest in terms of features & overall quality.

In fact, Ken checked out an RS700 at Don Oatman's Low Down Sound store several years ago, and was very favorably impressed. So am I. The RS700 is wonderful amp - very musical, very flexible - with a warm, phat, clean tone and abundant power.

Unfortunately the Nemesis line is now completely defunct, but individual Nemesis pieces still pop up every now and then on the aftermarket. See if you can snag an NA650, an RS700, or an EN700 - and you'll be golden. :cool:

MM
  21. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    You guys are scaring me, I just got my first Eden (a WT405 from 2007 NOS and still under original warranty). Only had it a few days. I've been comparing with my Walkabout for sound but I hadn't given much thought to reliability, I've always considered the brand to be top notch.
    Nice tight little bottom and creature comfort features like mute, compression and headphone outs are wooing me. The Walkabout has never given me trouble.