1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Newish Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkroger, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kkroger

kkroger

Several years back a co-worker needed some money and asked me to buy his Jazz Bass (Mex) it was Black with White Guard and Rosewood/maple neck... it lived in a Gig Bag for a long time then when I had my house fire, the smoke leaked through the gig bag and stained the headstock a little bit and the white pick guard.
    I never liked the look of it and when I moved I decided to display all my guitars and basses. Hung it up on the wall and it was quite plain... I decided to give it a facelift.
    No intent to deceive anyone as to what it is but I wanted the LOOK. the SN and info is still on the headstock.
    I didn't age any of the hardware used.
    So I swapped on a Tortoise Pick guard.
    Pickup Cover, Bridge Cover, and a maple tugbar...
    [​IMG]
    See? BORING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now it POPS!...
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's a great classic look. Much nicer.
  3. VintageBassGuy

VintageBassGuy

Very pretty.
  4. dreads311

dreads311

I never liked pickup covers but that and the new pick guard definitely class it up a lot. Nicely done!
  5. kkroger

kkroger

The Pickguard had "Issues" the Screws lined up and it fit at the neck, but the pickup hole was off by a LOT, about an 1/8" in the direction of the neck so it left a bit of a gap, the half circles for the pickup screws were too close together only on the bridge side of the pickup so they left a gap there.. so the pickup cover serves a couple purposes.
    The Bridge Cover just looks.... "Right" to me... I like it and I like to use a Mute soooooo.... the pickguard (most likely a Stew Mac) also left an 1/8" gap by the control plate too.
    Relocating the control plate (3 Screws) was easiest...

Here is a group shot with the other Fender Members of the Family.
    Unknown Year Mexican Jazz
    1951 Original Precision
    2001 "HotRod" American Precision.
    [​IMG]
  6. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Wow, what a difference! Great choices! Looks like it's ready to play some nasty funk.
  7. kkroger

kkroger

Thank ya all kindly! They are my toys I have fun with them!