1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Next best pedal to a Catalinbread SFT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by El Raro, Jan 13, 2013.

1. El Raro

El Raro

I'm pretty much in love with the Catalinbread SFT overdrive. From what I've heard, its pretty much the perfect pedal for what I do. The only problem...its a little steep for my wallet at the moment and I'm heading into the studio to record in a couple weeks so I'm strapped for time and money.

Anyone know of any other similar and affordable overdrives in the market to look into? Basically, if you watch the video above, I want an overdrive that really crunches but doesn't buzz like a distortion. Something that's thick and meaty but not boomy. Thanks for any help or tips, guys.
  2. fasto

fasto

you could build a clone ... easy schematic and the parts are cheap ...
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    or find a used one. IIRC, i paid $120 for mine in mint condition.
  4. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

5. ShaunNecro

ShaunNecro

Ebay is your friend! I managed to snag one a year and a half ago for $130.

The more I play it, the more I end up loving it.
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Tech 21 VTBass makes an affordable replacement that you might even end up liking better
  7. Swift713

Swift713

I've read that the Flipster is also similar.
  8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1

IMO, the flipster and the ginger are easily as good as the SFT (I have all three). IME, the flipster and ginger and more dynamic and less compressed than the SFT (even if running the SFT on 18V).