1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Next level (for me)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LPStephens, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LPStephens

LPStephens

I've been playing bass in various cover bands for years, but recently got involved with a really cool bunch of people for an R&B project. Some of the material has a slap/pop/percussive thing going on that goes further than anything I've done before.

A little history of my playing style. Mostly, I'm a fingerstyle player and occassionally use a pick when it adds to the song. I always get good comments on locking down with drummers and can pick up practically any song by ear. If I haven't heard the song before, I can usually just "find it" and put a groove together on the fly. I do use my thumb occassionally to play some pretty straight forward grooves like you would find in Bonnie Raitt songs. I play a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V so the sound is definitely there when I'm doing it right.

My issue right now is working into that percussive style of playing. So far it's been pretty awkward. I'm looking for some exercises or repeatable patterns to get me comfortable playing the style. An example of one song I'm working on is Ana Popovic - Can You Stand the Heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXaY5f8Ok0&playnext=1&list=PL6E0A155F4F95B6D9&feature=results_video

Any tips or links to help me fumble my way through this next level learning curve?

2. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Subscribed - interested in the same question....