Next olympic sport: "Dodge bass"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Treadstone71, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Ok, I'm sure a lot of guys here face this problem in smaller clubs, and it amuses me enough that I've named it playing dodge bass.

My band plays quite often in a very small club. It's long and narrow, and the front door is the only exit. Sadly , the "stage" is the area directly by the door. Our drummer is wedged in the front corner, and has to climb over my bass cab to get into place.

The singer sets up farthest from the door, and the lead guitarist next to her, and by default, I'm usually stuck in the space in front of the door. This is where dodge bass comes in.

Yep, you guessed it, people come and go all night from this place, and I have to hold the groove while dodging people coming in and out. Only once have I lost a game of dodge bass...I stopped playing to help a friend's pregnant wife clear the doorway.

Luckily, it's not a particularly rough place, so I rarely have to play defensive bass.

I know it's a deal-breaker for many players, but that's where we started, and I think I'd miss that hole if we ever stopped playing there.

So, anyone else play on their regional dodge bass team? ;)
  2. Richland123

Richland123

I have been in your situation before as well as being in the path of the restrooms and all night people are walking past me or between me and the P.A. stack.
  3. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

We play a place where the rhythm guitarist plays "railroad crossing gate" the whole night. He's by the corner of the bar has has to lift his headstock up every time somebody wants to get through!
  4. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I started out playing railroad crossing gate, but I found I was less likely to drop a note if I just turned my body to let people pass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mansjasont

mansjasont

OP are you in Nashville? There's a couple bars there that have that. When I was there a year ago on a Holiday, I got hit hard by a fellow bass players headstock. He did buy me a beer for after the song was over tho.

Edit: Just realized your actually close-ish to my home town, NVM
  7. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

have played "chicken" with the on-coming traffic of girls to the bathroom because the bar we played put us in a room that was split, half the band on each side, no stage
  8. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I'm having a hard time picturing this logistically.
  9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sounds just like a few gigs Ive played.
  10. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

take a rectangle (long side side to side, short top to bottom)...cut horizontally not quite in half, say 60% to the top 40% to the bottom. tables fill the room and booths along the inside edges of the room, in the split between the top and bottom portions is the walkway, the walkway connects this room to another room on end and on the opposite end the walkway led to a hallway where the bathrooms were.

there wasnt enough room on either side for all of us to fit, so we had to set up half on one side of the walkway, half on the other...because it would have been the smart thing for us to set up along a long wall and bar/club owners hate doing things the smart way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------us
    us
    walk this way talk this way walk this way this way walk
    us
    us
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------