next step after the MXR M80 (for distortion)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by torza, Jan 30, 2014.

1. torza

torza

Hey all! So I've been using the MXR M80 strictly as a distortion pedal for almost 10 years now. While I love how it keeps the low end and doesn't alter my signal too much, I'm coming to find that my distortion tastes are changing a bit. I hate that I have to really dig in to the strings to get this thing to sound aggressive. I guess I'm looking for a pedal that's more diverse and can get a little nastier, more saturated sound if needed (while still keeping the low end as well as the M80 does).

Any opinions?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you like the metallic edge of the M80 distortion but want something all around "more" I'd check out a Darkglass B3k.

3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Check out the Empress Multidrive, it will dial in two separate channels of any flavor of dirt you want, just got in a trade(THX AL!) and I like it better than the VMT I traded for and the SFT that I just got before that.

4. torza

torza

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard great things about both pedals. The Darkglass looks insanely promising. Blend knob is key :). Anyone know if there's somewhere I can try it out in NYC?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. torza

torza

As I'm still on the hunt, it seems the Darkglass is out of my price range. Shame, because it does sound promising. Any other suggestions?

7. jumblemind

Just save up and be done with the hunt. :) For a little less cash but still a bit pricey, you might check out the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail.

In the meantime pick up a Joyo Ultimate Drive for just over $30. Fellow TB'er SunnBass using one here:

8. torza

torza

Thanks Jumblemind. Yeah I was thinking of selling my son anyway!

Others have recommended the Rat Tail. Does that have a clean blend?

9. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

If you don't mind heading to Williamsburg, check out Main Drag Music. They have a ton of different pedals there. Ludlow Guitars has an okay selection too.

10. jumblemind

:D

Doesn't need one, really. Fuzzrocious pedals are built by a bass player, so they all have plenty of low end.

11. 10cc

10cc

12. torza

torza

Ohh gotcha. I meant more for retaining the character of the bass

13. Berme

Berme

Yep, you can order it direct from Ryan with the clean blend as a custom option.