1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NFBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff K, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay boys, get your minds out of the gutter. New FRETLESS Bass Day. Picked this up a couple days ago. The pic with the white pickguard is how I got it.

Put on a tort guard & D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewounds. A little bit of Howard's Feed & Wax on the fingerboard really brought the richness out in the rosewood. It's a '93 or '94 MIJ. The tort guard actually belongs to a friend of mine. I'm just using it until mine comes in. Mine is a bit of a lighter brown tort. I'll post another pic when it comes in.

Oh yeah - I had a set of Nordstrand NJ4's sitting around unused, so she's now wearing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Ohio
    what a nice looking fretboard.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    That thing looks gorgeous, bet it sounds just as well! Good buy, fella.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks guys. I think it looks better in person than the pics. Regular flats would probably look better, but these tapewounds are sooooo cool to play on a fretless.

6. Sweet. I am so gassing for an unlined jazz bass. Seem to be rare these days?

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, I finally got my new pickguard. It's also tort, but a lighter brown than the one I was borrowing. The pic still makes it look darker than it is, but I think it looks a lot better with the new, lighter one.

[​IMG]

8. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Beautiful bass! Black and tort is a great combo. If you want a more traditional look in a tapewound, LaBella makes a "white" tapewound string that has a clear tape instead of black. I had an opportunity to pick up a MIJ fretless in olympic white/tort a few months ago. I should have, but oh well! Congrats again!

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks T-Bone. White would have been my preference, but this black one is growing on me!

Yeah, I saw those "white" tapewounds advertised, but I got a killer deal on these D'Addarios a few months back. They're really nice, especially at the price I got.