NFD! Huh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

NFD!! New Fretless Day!

Been GAS'n for a Vintage White Fender Jazz fretless lately...well came across one on eBay. This very nice Fender Japan Jazz. The serial number puts it in the early to mid 80's, and is in great condition. Do not think it was played much, the fretboard is in great shape. Very minor wear. And only one very small ding on the bass.

Fairly light weight. Not sure if it is Alder or Basswood. Don't know if they used Basswood back than :confused:

It has a very nice playing neck and sounds like....well a Fender Jazz Fretless! Took off the White pickguard that came with it, looks better without it.

I believe this is a non-export model. I don't recall seeing any un-lined Japanese fretless basses here in the US back than....and still.

[​IMG]
  2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Most likely basswood.
    Looks good.
  3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I like that a lot. I've never owned a fretless (other than my upright!). ;) But if I ever get one, that's my ideal right there. Fender Jazz, unlined ebony board. The only thing I'd do differently is that I would keep the pickguard on. I actually LIKE the look of a pickguard on a Jazz (or P for that matter).

Congrats!
  4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Congrats. What a doll of a bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ClassicJazz

Actually it is fairly dark rosewood. I've found that the rosewood they use on these Japanese fretless bass hold up very well to wear. This bass is over 20 years old and the fretboard is in great condition.
  7. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Nice score. Throw a black or tort guard on there and you are good to go.
  8. ClassicJazz

Na, I like it naked!