1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NFL Week 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Looks Like Denver is the team to bat in the AFC.

Packers with a bye.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I hope they don't start to fast and fizzle out at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind ole Peyton getting another ring. That is unless they are playing the Texans in the AFC Championship.
  3. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

Tough game for the new-look Browns. Cincinnati is talented, and playing well. I predict a loss, somewhere in the 24-10 range for the Browns.
  4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Bears 27 Lions 24

It's not that I don't like the Lions. I just hope my Bears continue with this streak of luck.
  5. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

Bucs play someone, lose.
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Probably the same deal for my Steelers. But to add insult to injury, they have to travel to another continent to do so. They're playing the Vikings, so they have a chance to win, but from what I've seen this year, I'm not optimistic.

I'll say one thing though: If they lose and fall to 0-4, Mike Tomlin better start working on his resume'. Sad to see them looking this impotent. The Rooneys don't change coaches lightly, but I can't imagine they're happy right now. IMO, losing is getting into the players heads now and creating a snowball effect.
  7. LAG

LAG

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Packers have a bye to heal.

Bears at Lions should be a good game, though Lions receiver Nate Burleson broke his arm this morning in a car crash. That wont help Detroit.
  8. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

As a Pittsburgh fan, do you think Tomlin was the recipient of simply a good team he inherited?
  9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Audix Microphones, Epiphone Guitars
    Niners in St. Louis on Thursday. Short rest and we're pretty banged up and not playing like the unit we should be.

St. Louis isn't great, but they also seem to have our number. We were 0-1-1 last year. I'm REALLY hoping for a win, but I just can't be optimistic. 21-17, lambs.

Seattle is the team to beat in the NFC. They are just so dynamic. I think they'll take down the Texans, 24-14.

Raiders showed some serious improvement. Pryor had real flashes of brilliance against the best team in the NFC. RGIII and the Redskins aren't looking sharp at all. This might be another win, if Oakland plays like they have been playing. 14-10 Oakland.
  10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

That does seem to be a prevailing sentiment on some of the Steelers sites. I'm not sure myself. I was VERY impressed with Tomlin when they first hired him. I loved listening to him talk football, and the "no excuses" attitude he exuded.

But after every loss, each press conference sounds like a clone of the others. (ie., "That was an ugly game"; "This kind of play is unacceptable"; etc.) All true, of course, but then nothing changes and the same things keep happening.

I understand that every coach has down years, and the coach can't execute the plays on the field. And I don't expect the Rooneys to fire him even if he were to go 0-16. Not during the season, at least. But unless he can get it turned around, I'm not sure how safe he is after this year. The worst thing seems to be the mentality of the rest of the league. In the past, even teams that hated the Steelers had a grudging respect for them, and knew they were in for a rough day, win or lose. Now nobody seems to have any respect for them, and the players themselves appear tentative. Especially the offensive line. Unless they can gain back some of that swagger, I think a change will be necessary at some point. Whether that includes Tomlin, I don't know. Could be Haley and Colbert.
  11. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    RG 0-3 goes RG 0-4...maybe.
  12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    If the Raider team that managed 17 points against Denver shows up, RGIII is in for a painful day.
  13. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Imagine a Denver / Seattle SB? Interesting.......
  14. Hopkins

You don't have to imagine very hard. Baring any injuries that looks like a serious possibility.
  15. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

If you look at any records of teams after 3 weeks in previous years, it seems like it's not very indicative of late-season success. Wasn't Arizona 5-0 last year? Maybe 4-0?

Interesting points.

I can see that with the Rams. The Niners are in a really tough spot with Kaep looking like crap the past two weeks and lots of injuries and other crap (Aldon Smith, anyone?). How are people reacting? I'm just kind of amazed at their sudden bad fortune -- they seemed immune to that for the past two seasons. I don't doubt that he is good, but Kaepernick looked just awful last week.

I know Seattle is a better team, but I could see Houston winning this week. I won't be surprised if they lose, but I see this as a GB/CIN sort of game where the other quality team pulls the upset and all of the brainless Marino-esque pundits out there unanimously pick Seattle.

Does't Pryor have a concussion? Is he cleared to play against Washington?
  16. Wharf_Rat

Wharf_Rat Supporting Member

Don't count out New England. Even though they have a tough schedule that team always seems to get better as the season goes on
  17. Hopkins

You are right, It is usually a wild card team or a 4th seed division winner that gets hot at the right time that wins the whole thing.

But when the Saints won the superbowl, them and Indy both had a chance to go undefeated in the regular season, but both rested their starters. So sometimes the best regular season team is the best team in the playoffs.

I hope you are right about Houston beating the Seattle. If we can squeak that game out it will make me feel alot better about my team.
  18. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

Oh, I wasn't saying that regular season has nothing to do with postseason -- more that the first 3 weeks can be deceptive because of the small sample size and because it's easy to have a really tough schedule over a few initial weeks that then colors opinions because of a bad record (e.g. Green Bay). I would put SF in that same category.
  19. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Raiders can't catch a break. Sure, we were a lock for 2nd worse until the Browns punted 33 to Indy. Ahhhhhh! Why? Now Teddy/Tahj can go to two teams in need of a qb and we can't trade for massive picks. Hello mr clowney. Welcome to oakland (or san jose or santa clara or los angeles). And now I want pryor for good. ****. Lost a losing season. Is that possible?
  20. bassman314

Disclosures:
    I forgot about that. If Pryor is out and Flynn is in, the Redskins get their first win.

Houston must find a way to contain Seattle's secondary AND contain Lynch if they are going to win. I just don't think that is possible.

I'm actually happy with how Smith was handled. Maybe they should have benched him against Indy, but the rehab agreement is good for all parties. I doubt he will be back this season. I'd rather lose him this season, get him back healthy, happy and out of trouble, than have him be a distraction all season long.