NGD: MTD Z6 Fretless...Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hanales, Feb 14, 2014.

1. hanales

hanales

So I've lusted after these for a long time. Saw a used one on GC's site, pulled the trigger since I'm gigging again.

Arrived this morning, pull it out of the case and.....

Well. I'm not in love with it. It honestly feels kind of cheap. My 300$ LTD fretted 6 feels like a nicer bass. I'm not sure why at all. I'll be plugging it into the rig tonight, and if it sounds good I'm going to use it tomorrow night at a gig. That will be the final determination.

This ever happen to any of you? Thank god for GC's return policy!

--UPDATE

Plugged it into my rig. NO SOUND. ARGGGHHHHHHH.

Took it to guitar center ready to return it. The manager at my local one is a bassist, and was excited to see it. He said "Let me have my tech set this up right and look at the electronics".

So I did.

Played it last night at a gig. Holy crap, it was just plain awesome!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That sucks but like you said back she goes if you don't like it.

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Yup. I went to Guitar Center last night and played everything on the wall. Most of the time GCs catch flak for the gear on the wall, but overall the stuff on mine is in pretty nice shape. Some could use tweaking for my preference, but overall OK. Tunings were mostly in standard, though some in half step or whole step down.
    Like I said, I played everything on the wall, and nothing jumped out at me at all. Some were cool feeling or pleasant sounding, but nothing that intrigued me enough to even consider purchasing. I got home, picked up my EBMMs and couldn't stop smiling. It was kind of nice to get that kind of confirmation that nothing in that price bracket can replace my Balls.
    I've even done the same thing with Bass Central and BassNW and left not only sans GAS, but mostly unimpressed with other offerings.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I don't recall testing an Mtd but I have lusted over basses and been disappointed with them once I got my grubby mitts on them. It happens with Rics a lot due to their unique nature.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I did the same thing with a Z5. I heard a lot of great things about them and pulled the trigger on a nice used one. I spent about 2 weeks with it. It was not heavy at all, but the biggest no from me was on the tone. The pups seemed really weak and the preamp didn't seem to be able to add enough to make the tone pop. I took it back and bought another Lakland 55-01. I actually contacted MTD and got an email from Mike himself and he recommended doing the ZX upgrade (updated bartolini pre and pups).

7. hanales

hanales

Yeah I'm sad :-(. The worst part about it is there are a ton of basses in this price range, that I know are just nicer than this. I think I'm just going to find a used BTB or a GT-7.