1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ni-Cads in Active Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JVA, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JVA

JVA

I have a BTB with 18v active pick ups. Can I invest in Ni-Cads to use? I absolutely adore it and will never sell it. But replacing the two batteries is not cost-effective. Re-chargeable batteries make sense.

Will I fry anything? This is the sweetest sounding 5 string and I don't want to F' it up. Thanks!

2. line6man

line6man

You only need to replace the batteries once a year or so. Hardly a reason to worry about the cost of batteries.

In any case, rechargeable batteries are not meant to last very long, and thus, they are rarely used on basses. That being said, your current consumption is quite low, and recharging doesn't seem to be a downside to you, so why not?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Most rechargeable 9v batteries don't put put the full 9 volts.

I used to change the batteries in my basses with a BTC maybe every 6-9 months. And even then they still had about 8 volts on them.

I wouldn't worry about it. You will be swapping the rechargeables a lot more often.

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If you do a standard 9volt rechargable they won't last as long as a normal 9volt. Note the "mAh" rating.

9volts don't stay at 9volts very long once you start useing them. So a battery at 9volts is not going to have an effect because the current draw (mA) is low. You won't start noticeing a low battery untill 6-7volts depending on the preamp and how you are useing it. For example, haveing the bass and treble knobs maxed out is going to run the batteries down faster than having them flat.

You're worring about saving money but you're not going to be changing batteries all the time in a bass AS LONG AS you keep it unplugged when not actually playing it. If you leave it plugged in all the time, you're going to go through batteries.

If you MUST use rechargable batteries use a Lithium Polymer rechargeable. These haven't made into the general market yet but TV and Touring pros use them all the time in wireless mics because the "mAh" is equal to or better than a normal battery. Now that most wireless's have been switching to "AA" these are less in demand.

Untill I got a new wireless I used these and they work great, but are expensive. $20 each plus the charger, but they have a nice long life as long as you follow the directions. http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html

My basses have always used over the counter 9volts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1 on rechargeables being the wrong thing for basses; they'd probably self-drain faster sitting in the case than regular alkalines would while being played!

+1 also on the ipowers kicking butt for what rechargeables are good for, stuff that gets drained out in one or two gigs.

8. inmate13

inmate13

Which BTB do you have? I would suggest that you buy 3 500 kohm and wire it to passive, thats what i did and you will love your BTB even more :)