Niangon, Experiences to share?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by octaedro7, Jan 12, 2013.

1. octaedro7

octaedro7

Hi,
    I'm considering buying this wood for upcoming projects. What I read so far is that it shares mahogany's properties but it's oilier, which can turn somewhat problematic when it comes to clogging the sawdust and affecting the sharpness of the router bits, requiring constant cleaning.
    The plan is to use it in bodies and necks.

Any input you may have?

Thanks in advance

2. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I've cut/joined it but never used it. Doesn't seem oily to me but a bit of acetone would take care of everything in case you need to glue it. It's not stiff enough for necks but is pretty light... I think would be good for a fretless bass body with a nice top on it. :)

3. octaedro7

octaedro7

Thanks Triad.
    Yeah, I was thinking of using it in multilaminated necks, not alone.

May I ask why you never used it?

4. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I don't think it would be good for necks, not stiff enough and not dense enough. I think Sapelli and other african mahogany types would be better.
    I still have to used it as the color and grain aren't very appealing but I'll certainly use it for a fretless body, sooner or later.
    With the amount of work needed to build a neck I wouldn't risk... but it's up to you. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. octaedro7

octaedro7

Advice taken, I though that being described with similar properties as sipo and sapelli I could use it for necks but I'll take your word on that. It's just that it was cheap :)
    But I'll try to get Padauk instead!

7. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Padouk is much harder... Niangon looks softer than other african mahogany types... I think it's slightly stiffer than Okoumé.