1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Nice Dry blend idea [for the curious, DIYers, and those who misclicked]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eddododo, Dec 29, 2013.

1. eddododo

eddododo

Don't count on me updating- I hope to, but I have a lot of these threads dead all over the place :rolleyes:

Anyway- the pitch

DOES YOUR ENVELOPE FILTER OR COMPRESSOR SUCK YOUR LOWS AND GET YOU LOST IN THE MIX?!

DOES YOUR CLEAN BLEND KNOB OR EVEN BLEND PEDAL LEAVE YOU BUMMED OUT?!

DOES A CLEAN BLEND WITH YOUR FAVORITE FUZZ SOUND LIKE A BASS BEING CHASED BY BEES INSTEAD OF A FAT FUZZ?!

ahem..

What youre missing is EQ or filtering on your clean blended sound, and perhaps on your 'wet' signal too, while we're at it.

some examples-
    on envelope filters- I like a little clean for fatness, but it always erases the sweep.. ironic? If you use a little low pass on the clean youll have bassy fat filter goodness!
    And while we're at it, why not a high pass on the filter? it will make crappier/naughty filters with undesirable bass peaks a thing of the past.

same thing with fuzz- it always just sounds like a clean bass with some weedeaters in the room. So perhaps you can get rid of the weird lowmid harmonic mess (or not, if you like it) and get rid of the string and fret noise and BOOM. fat bottom fuzziness, like sasquatch

Hell, a crossover may even work, or possibly be the ideal solution... a crossover-blender. Blendover.
    yeah that's it... the blendover

of course there are a lot of options-
    parametric EQs for maximum control and ultimate finger-twiddling prowess!
    likewise, you could have any combination of filters, graphic EQ, classic tonestack. Hell, one could even have it panned dynamically, controlled by your envelope like a filter . an envelope clean blender.

So.. go breadboard. or wait for me to ... though I have 4 breadboards all with 'projects' I paused on.

2. MrPierre

MrPierre

3. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Ah man I hear you!... I put an EWS BMC in one of my Schism loops to adjust a Tall Font Russian when blended with another fuzz. I still have to replace those two...

Really though, some effects parallel blend well and others do not.

Megalith, for instance, SUCKS at being blended and must have a straight signal.
    So far, I've found only one effect that can even be serial blended with it,
    a Bluebeard, but then, the Bluebeard into anything = awesome sauce, so...

Another option is to turn up the volume of the non-effected signal.
    Just yesterday I experimented with a Hyperdrive (which itself has a mix knob) in one channel and a Diesel Dawg in the other; trying to find that ubber grind (totally did).
    When run with a clean channel, the Hyperdrive set to full wet, I have to bump the volume of the clean channel, but when I include the Diesel Dawg (without the clean), the lowend returns and all is super grindstortionawesome.

Basically, clean plus this effect = bump the clean volume or forget about it.

When I used to blend the Tall Font Russian with clean I wouldn't have to adjust anything since the clean just added a bit of definition and the TFR is stupid-crazy-time low-mid-boosted all by it's lonesome. No low-end loss with that guy, like ever. I just used the BMC to accentuate the high-mids, to alleviate some of the mid-scoop.

Parrallel blending is all about which effects are being blended, how much clean volume to add, and yeah, what frequencies to bump or cut in the effected channel to make everything balance correctly.
    And of course, phase variance/cancellation.

It's not plug and play, more like tweak-away!

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Crossover plus blender here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eddododo

eddododo

SILENT FLYY

I shoulda known!

I love his stuff, because even if/when I gain that level of skill and knowledge, everything I do will be a knob-happy nightmare and everything SFX does is simple but PERFECT

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The only thing lacking in the sfx unit is footswitching for the phase control. My 3 channel blender gives me a spare loop to switch the return phase, and total cost is much less.

Some pedals invert phase, so the crossover frequencies drop out. If your clean blending LS2 sounds wrong, that is probably the reason.

8. eddododo

eddododo

Yea but i assume it has a phase switch , just not stomp able , right?

it doesn't need to be stompable unless you can also unplug and plug in patch cables with your foot on the foot..

9. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Check out the Brimstone Audio XD-1.

Also take a look at their Ouroborous pedal that's coming soon, it could be just what you need.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I run multiple pedals in the highpass, depending on how many phase flipping ones are on, I correct or not by footswitch.

11. eddododo

eddododo

D'oh, good point