Nice intro to bass chords by Chris Tarry

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by plarry, Jan 14, 2013.

1. plarry

plarry

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Very nice.
  3. plarry

plarry

Yep. Badass bassist and great teacher!

I didn't know him well until recently. Bought 4 of his records on his site (CT Group & Metalwood) and I've been listening to them A LOT... Great composer too! I'm surprised he's not mentioned more often --although he is on bassheroes ;).
  4. logans59

logans59

Very cool
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fred59

fred59

Chris Tarry is a great bassist and I really dig his video lessons.
    There's one on chords in the series he gives away along with his book, which I find really useful too. I'm looking fwd to the opening of his new lessons site. Should be pretty neat!

http://free.christarrylessons.com
  7. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    Thanks everyone! Glad you're enjoying the free lessons, I'm having fun making them. Okay, back to work on the new site. We'll be up and running soon, I promise!

http://free.christarrylessons.com
  8. plarry

plarry

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear your new lessons website will be up soon! I'm really looking forward to it.

For now, I'm really enjoying your free lessons. They're all a perfect illustration of this quote in Dave Siff's signature (here on TB): "A good bass player needs to have an uncanny grasp of the completely obvious." -Chris Tarry

"Simple" or "obvious" don't necessarily mean "easy", though: it requires quite a bit of practice before you can feel and say "It's so simple..." but I feel that's the way to go for someone who wants to play the bass like a Federer plays tennis, rather than like someone who makes it look so hard and painful. Not sure I'm being clear but... I see my point. ;)
  9. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Disclosures:
    Ha! Yeah, I think I remember saying that :bassist:.

If I remember correctly, what I was referring to is this idea of "choice" as a bass player. That a lot of players get caught up in the options available in a given musical moment, and more-often-than-not choose to (perhaps) overplay, or play something they "think" sounds good, or maybe impressive, etc. Often times the best choice is the simplest one, the most obvious.

I'm also trying to remember where I heard that quote because as usual, I'm sure I was expounding truth's I heard somewhere else. I might have heard it from Vancouver bassist Kerry Galloway, who also told me a great story about a piece of advice he once received that went something like this: "No, no, no, Kerry! It's not your job to get excited. It's your job to get the audience exceited!" I still love that one. :)
  10. fred59

fred59

I totally agree with that! There are sooo many musicians today with an outstanding technique and chops, not only bassists, of course. Some of them can "impress" me but not more and not less than a very fast typist (and btw., a very fast typist can write more stupid things / minute...)! I was obsessed with speed, many years ago... I've lost a lot of time!

I really like the "simple" concepts outlined in your lessons and the way you demonstrate pretty clearly that one can build great bass lines with just a couple of notes and good time feel. I liked your latest updates on the b7 funk and the muting technique very much, thanks Rocco! And, personnaly, I don't care about these "update vids" being "low-fi", feel free to send as many low-fi / high-value vids as you want, Chris! ;)
  11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Euh ... I thought anybody with a little harmony theory under their belt could discovert that by themselves without being spoonfed ...

I went to a music college and after learning stuff like that on piano I try it on bass by seeking how I could place my finger to get the note and knew what I could sacrefice if I had to.

You don't need bass theory, just normal theory and little imagination/exploration to get that ... is it me or really, many bass player don't see that or understand that kind of stuff ?
  12. fred59

fred59

C'mon, don't you be so cocky! ;)

1. Not everybody has "a little harmony theory under their belt".

2. Sure, it's what you call "normal theory" applied to the bass but not everybody starts with the same knowledge and abilities. When you say "is it me", I guess you mean "am I more gifted than many?". It may be, I don't know, but if you indeed are, there's nothing to brag about: if you are gifted, all you have to do is say "thank you!", just like (hopefully) you do when you receive a gift! And use your gift for your own pleasure, accomplshment, and to make the less gifted feel better, not worse. ;)

Fucius
  13. plarry

plarry

Don't know if I've been "spoonfed" ;) but I found this lesson pretty useful: http://free.christarrylessons.com/chords-1/

...and it makes me want to explore and experiment by myself too.

Of course, one can try and "discover" & "figure out" everything by himself, but a good teacher is a time-saver. It certainly doesn't mean you have to be subdued and passive and expect to "be taught" the bass --or whatever else, for that matter.
  14. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hehe - CT, that was indeed me you heard it from, quoting almost exactly verbatim the late John Young, my amazing ear training/solfege teacher in 1981!
  15. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Disclosures:
    KG - I knew it had to be you! The man of many fine bass quotes. You should put out a book of knowledge my friend. Hope all is well out in Vanland!

And just to keep everyone else posted, the new bass lessons site is almost ready. Seriously, I know I've been saying that for awhile, but now it's really close. Any minute!

For now, be sure to sign up for the free stuff here:http://free.christarrylessons.com

Thanks!
    CT
  16. plarry

plarry

Hey Mr. Tarry! Hiding stuff from TB users? :)

Btw. although I was on your subscribers list, I was on a short holiday last weekend and I missed your opening offer, arghhh! But I joined anyway... --I'm not a money-person! ;) and it gave me the kick in the butt I needed... My fingers hurt a bit, though. My bad.

Talk soon!

PS: Seriously, well done! :)
  17. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Disclosures:
    Hey PLarry,

Glad you're enjoying the new lesson site! The response has been overwhelming to say the least.

I meant to post something here at Talk Bass about the site going live, but I've been super-crazy with gigs, so I've only had a chance to let those on my mailing list know and a few posts on Facebook.

I offered 10% off at the site to my Facebook followers, so anyone else out there who wants the same deal, drop by the site, sign up, and plug in the coupon code: MAY-10

Thanks you guys, and hopefully we'll see ya over at http://christarrylessons.com

CT
  18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

1- anybody with a little harmony theory ... you skipped a word here.

2- I'm not gifted at all. I just think a lot and I never only be a bass player, I see myself as a musician with a bass. So doing chords ? yeah why not ? To me it is obvious. It just shows that bass player doesn't explore outside of what is accepted in the mainstream world it seems.

Oh and sorry I'm lte to respond you but whatever.
  19. plarry

plarry

Hey Chris,

Just kidding you, I know you've been super-busy with gigs... and with the new site. Really digging the lessons and learning a lot. Well done!

Talk soon,

Pierre

@Clef_de_fa: yeah, I see your point, no offense and no big deal. :)