Nice lil' Scott LaFaro find..

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Phil Rowan, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

..with Herb Geller, Thad Jones and Elvin Jones, no less! I stumbled upon this while searching for Herb Geller stuff on youtube. Scottie has a nice solo spot at the end too.. enjoy!
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Excellent find! Scotty always had great tone. It's hard to believe that he only played bass for a handful of years. And it's interesting to hear Elvin pre-Coltrane classic quartet days. The rap on him was that he was too flashy and out to keep good time. Not so here for damn sure.
  3. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Nice and loud.
  4. joe vegas

joe vegas

Great post!
    Man, imagine if Scott had lived a whole lot longer...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

I have this album and Hank Jones is on some cuts. Lafaro has a feature on a tune called " The Cow Song." Imagine that....
  7. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

If you want to hear some more straight ahead Elvin from 1957 or so check out a side by Art Farmer called " Farmer's Market ".
  8. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

There's also a great Pepper Adams album called "The cool sounds of Pepper Adams" that features Elvin with Hank Jones and George Duvivier. And Elvin's also on "The Magnificent Thad Jones, Vol. 3" (which features some absolutely killing Thad Jones arrangements.. highly recommended).
  9. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

Great albums Phil. George Duvivier's sound on that Pepper side is to die for.....
  10. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Speaking of George Duvivier, I just placed an order (via ebay) for an LP of Shirley Scott's titled "Girl Talk", with George Duvivier and Mickey Roker. Yet another album I highly recommend checking out (particularly if you want to get into playing some real slow walking ballad type tempos.. and they groove like crazy even.. or should I say especially?.. that slow).
  11. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

Playing those tempo's is one of the hardest things to do in the music biz. Ya gotta love Basie.....