Nice New Premium Ibanezes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

When I was visiting one of my favorite stores today, a salesman let me see the new Ibanez catalog. I see that for 2013, BTB fives and sixes can be bought with Nordstrand pickups. They are not cheap at $1,600 more or less street prices. I also see that there will be a five string Premium version of the ATK 805. It will be right around $1,700 street, which is pretty much Stingray or 55-02 territory. I am sure the Premium ATK805 will be worth it, but a regular ATK805 for under $800 looks like a whole lot more bang for the buck to me!:bassist:

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Believe me:
    I own each an' every new ATK (MIC soda blue limited edition ATK200, MII ATK800 Premium and MIJ ATK1200 Prestige) the one you mentioned, for that price, is the MIJ ATK1205 Prestige

It's worth its price 'cause it actually is a StingRay5 and 5502 competitor, while MII ATK805 Premium (walnut) it's for sure half that price tag, right aside Sterlin'Ray35 and skyline 5501

Cheers,
    Wallace

BTBs with Nordstrands are MII Premiums, so they adopt same pickups and electronics off Soundgear 1205/1206 Premium, while they're a bit pricey 'cause BTBs were always a bit more expensive than Soundgears and now both icreased their prices

3. devilman666

devilman666

I feel that the ATK 805e is far better than the $800 price shows and is def a step about both the Sterlin and the Skyline imoa

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

That's why I own Ibanez ATK800, traded Lakland Skyline 4401 and never get caught by Sterlin' kinda sound.

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I would love to check out the high end ATK805, my guess is that will be sort of like a 55-94. I would really love to play a BTB five with Nordstrands. I think I would prefer Big Splits to big singles to get that classic boutique sound.

7. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I've had an ATK805E for 2 months and I kind of wish it had splits for the neck to more effectively raise the gain from the 2 upper strings a hair. But for the price I think it is a stellar bass - very responsive EQ but you have to take the center detent points seriously as it really adds/subtracts. I took the curved rosewood pickguard off so it looks kind of Fender-ish. Having a curved surface where you might rest your thumb was just weird imo. I fashioned a nice Fender-ish rest out of ebony and fit it with some vintage radio knobs. Block decals and Hipshot old-school 27:1 tuners complete the look.:) I think you save some bucks because they spent no time/effort on a paint job.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

You're more demandin' than me, but I bet you're absolutely right... Less punchy and more hifi soundin'? Yeah, just like you said.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. stichintime

stichintime

Nordstand said the Big Splits had issues with string pull and everyone preferred them in single coil mode, that's why he invented the Big Singles which outdid them.

10. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

I purposely stopped by the Ibanez booth (bass section!:D)
    at NAMM-

I wanted to feel the neck profile of the ATK 1200, which has been haunting me to buy it for MONTHS!

They had the 5'er, there, don't play 'em, so i tried the 4-string 805.

NICE! REAL Nice. The neck felt fantastic, and I loved the bass.

The Prestige 1200 I'm jones'ing for is awesome; a true value.
    I think I better get one!:cool:

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Together with Premium Atk800

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. mystic38

mystic38

couldnt agree more... picked up mine last week :)

[​IMG]

13. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

That's my axe, right there. A tad noisy, but I love it more than any other instrument I ever owned.

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

I love the feel & sound of the ATK series, but DAYAMN do they weigh as much as a beached whale! I was shocked with I picked up an ATK at my local store to find that it weighed more than the MIM Fenders!

15. Wallace320

Wallace320

That's MIJ Atk1200e Prestige I thought we were talkin' about
    View attachment 321204

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

The weight on the new Premium & Prestige ATKs (800-805) are much lighter than older, non-Premium ATK's. Five string Premium models usualy weigh in just a few ounces above the 9lb mark depending on the particular instrument. 4-string ATK Premiums weigh less of course.

17. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

I was!
    The Prestige ATK is awesome, I owned a Japanese-Built Prestige SR4000, those basses are impeccably well-made; as good as anything.

The thicker neck profile and over-all "ATTACK" of the ATK really suits me-

And...IMO they are not that heavy at all!:D

18. Audix99

Audix99

As pointed out by stingray69, not the new ones.
    My ATK800E weights just about 8.5 - 9 lbs.
    And it's a beauty.
    [​IMG]

I had a bit of buyer's remorse and eyed on Mendel Sig P-bass, but eventually came to my senses. Why? Because the more I play this ATK800, the more I like it. :bassist: