Nice place ya got here.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by geckomafia, Feb 25, 2014.

1. geckomafia

geckomafia

I'm Jon and I'm new to the world of bass. I did take a few lessons when I was 13, but after about 3 or 4, I broke my left wrist, which put my bass career on hold. For whatever reason I didn't pick it back up. Now I'm 41 and ready to give it another go. I picked up a Peavey grind NTB 4 last week, and for now will be self teaching.

2. bassteban

bassteban

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes, welcome back. I take for granted you will need to start over. Bass Guitar for Dummies is a good book to start over with. I'm a major scale pattern guy and rely upon fake cord sheet music . After you get your fingers around some of the following pull up some fake chord sheet music on the songs you like and use the following in bass lines for those songs. Just in case -- here is what fake chord sheet music looks like. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/norah_jones/cold_cold_heart_crd.htm
    And here is how the bass fits into all this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO3o

Welcome and have fun. The above can keep you busy for several months and should take some of the rust off.

4. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Hal Leonard's method books by Ed Frieland and Roy Vogt's "Teach Me Bass Guitar" DVDs are a winning combo.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. geckomafia

geckomafia

Yes, I'm definitely starting over. Honestly I didn't make it out of the driveway the first time. I borrowed a copy of the "for dummies" book from the library, so I have some reading ahead of me. I can't even understand a minor third of MalcomAmos' reply .... Thanks for the advice and tips, and by all means, keep it coming. I seem to remember seeing the Hal Leonard book 1 somewhere recently, if I can just remember where...

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Welcome back Jon! Enjoy the trip! :)

9. geckomafia

geckomafia

Thanks! I'm making my way through Bass for Dummies, and having fun doing it.