1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Nick Beggs with Steven Wilson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Jan 1, 2014.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Just watched the "Get All You Deserve" DVD of Steven Wilson. That bassist, Nick Beggs is just amazing. Paired with drummer Marco Minneman, the whole DVD is just 90 minutes of awesomeness.

Wasn't really familiar with his work before. Kajagoogoo doesn't count.
  2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I have the CD from that show, Beggs kills on it.
  3. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

I saw him with Steven Wilson last April. Nick Beggs was fantastic. He played some really cool stuff with Kajagoogoo. There's cool stuff all over that first album of theirs, but the intro to "Too Shy" is particularly cool.
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Seriously, get the DVD. You'll LOVE seeing these guys play off each other. Beggs & Minneman look like they're having a great time.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic

He's also a killer on Chapman Stick, and has done some work with John Paul Jones as well. I always thought that he, much like John Taylor of Duran Duran, was a real talent who was dismissed because he emerged in a fey pretty boy MTV pop band(Kajagoogoo). That could almost be said about Mick Karn as well, but in spite of the makeup and eyeliner, Japan was an amazing musical entity, way ahead of their time.
  6. ambientbassist

ambientbassist Supporting Member

I was gonna mention his stick playing.

I saw them in London a couple of years ago. An amazing gig, not just for the music, the spectacle was brilliant with Lasse Hoile's visual stuff.
  7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I saw them live this last year too. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Steven Wilson even had the house PA upgraded to surround sound so the audience got the full experience.
  8. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    He also kilt it.
  9. Fretless maniac

Fretless maniac

They played in Aarhus in Denmark less than 2 month ago. I have never seen anybody play thumb bass on a Chapman Stick. He is amazing. Super concert by the way. Steven Wilson seems like a down to earth guy.