Nickel Lo-riders or Sunbeams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levin, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Levin

Levin

Please help me, haven't tested either of them, but have Fat beams on my Yamaha right now, and they are truly great! I would like to test either nickel loriders or sunbeams, though, any suggestions? : ] looking for a varm, cozy sound that doesn't lack brightness, was thinking about Sadowsky flats for a while but decided to test out some not-flatwound strings first : D

2. Levin

Levin

A friend of mine recommend Ernie Ball Cobalt too, any thoughts? : ]

3. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Cobalts do not meet your requirements. They are bright, growly and aggressive. Neither warm nor cozy...I use them on my Spectors.

4. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

And cobalts feel quite hursh to your fingers and frets.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassnyc1

bassnyc1

Sunbeams are the Nickel plated version of Hi Beams (which are Stainless Steel) Fat Beams are basically Hi Beams but with a special wrapping process as per Marcus Miller's specs. All 3 have a round core. Stainless Steel Low Riders and Nickel Lo Riders have a hex core. They generally have a bit more tension. In my own personal experience, I have found that to be true. I have Nickel LoRiders on my Jazz Bass right now. They mellow out after a while. Highly recommended.

7. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

I've had multiple sets of Lo Riders on multiple basses and really like their sound, feel, and long life. I'd say they're my favorite strings. I also have a set of Sunbeams on a Warwick FNA Jazzman. They're also very good strings with attributes very similar to the Lo Riders. However, my personal preference is for the higher tension of the Lo Riders.

8. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

I have extensive experience with both.

They are similiar in that they are both warm & midrange focused strings - Lo-Riders being slightly more so.

Lo-Riders are more punchy, while Sunbeams are a bit more warm (to my ears they started to get muddy). What one persons warm is another persons un-defined.

Lo-Riders have more tension, Sunbeams will require an adjustment in set-up / playing if your used to conventional hex core rounds.

9. Levin

Levin

Why, thanks for all of your help, much appriciated! : D The sound I'm looking seems to be the nickel lo-riders then, per your definitions. Much obliged! : ] Lo-riders it is.

10. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

^ It's a good string. Warm & softer feel of nickel - but still very clear and defined in the mids.

11. Levin

Levin

Nice! Another set closer to finding the kind of string I prefer then ; D trying different kinds of strings is so much fun, even more so if you do not do it very often!

12. klokker

klokker

+1. Sunbeams are sweet. But Lo-riders for a band situation....cut through better at least for me on a P bass. They also mellow out nicely.

13. Levin

Levin

Have hade nickel lo-riders on a Fender Jazz bass for some time now and I've decided that I would like to try steel and see what comes out! Since I've hade such a blast with DR strings I would like to try either Hi-beams or Fat Beams, have had fat beams on other basses and really loved them! If I choose I think it will be Fat Beams, I have always played the 45-55-80-105 set, anytone tested the 85 one to see the difference? :)

14. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I have a set of nickel loriders for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested