Nickel roundwounds on my semi acoustic fretless yay or nay

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

My Carvin AC40F is currently strung with the awesome tapewounds it came with. I have a set of super light gauge EXL220 that I'm considering putting on it. It's got the ebony board so it can probably take the abuse, assuming I use proper fretless vibrato. I love the tone of the tapes, but I'd like the bass to be more versitile. Thoughts? Experiences?
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I played EXL-220 on my MIM-J fretless. Nice sound, good feel.
    Board wear is inevitable, but worse with rounds.
    TI Jazz Rounds are also very nice, but I found the TI Jazz Flats a bit wanting on fretless.

My own condition is a search for half-rounds for a new fretless I'm having built.
    Link to Half-Round Thread
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Light-gauge nickel roundwounds sounds like a fine idea for that instrument. Should make the sound really *pop*.

If you're worried about wear, you could always get the board epoxied. Doing so has sonic benefits too - assuming you like a brighter, more upfront tone. Makes for a beautiful mwah as well. :cool:

MM
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

You could try the epoxy. I'm tempting doing something similar on my Dymondwood board but it's already so damn tough it doesn't really need it.

You might also fare well with a stainless steel string that uses compressed outer windings like DR or Fodera! Those will sing like none other.
  5. Register to disable this ad