Nitro finish lifting-HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jan 1, 2014.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Just got this bass, I don't know if the cold temps during shipment may be responsible for this. There are numerous areas where the finish is lifting. These are located on edges like around P/U routes and neck pocket. I'd like to prevent these from flaking off and arrest it before it continues.
    Phil Kubicki did something similar to a bass I sent him (not a nitro finish) and used a thin superglue with a fine applicator to get under the edges of the finish and glue it down. Would you recommend this approach? If so, what product would you recommend? Alternative ideas welcome

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pfox14

pfox14

WOW! That's really bad. Don't know if there's any easy fix here. Looks like a very poorly done finish and not temperature-related. If it gets worse, you might have to get a refinish.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I would send it back or get warranty work done it it. That is real bad for a new bass.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's a new bass it's a crappy paint job. If it's a used bass I'm thinking it was stored in too humid an environment.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    Used, built 1999. I don't want to do anything that will make a refinish a problem. I'm thinking the Super glue thing would make for big headache.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

My OCD says "ohmigod" but my more pragmatic side suggests letting things fall...or fall off...as they may. Consider it a road-worn finish and play the snot out of it.

Riis

8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That's about it.

9. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

If you just bought it used, see f seller will take it back. I don't see how you can come out good any other way.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

And you would be right. I've run in to a couple of spots where the poly finish on an MIM cracked around a strap button and the owner would fill the voids with CA or try to glue the chips back in with CA. It makes for a major PITA when it comes time to refinish.

11. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    Thanks everyone. After mulling it over, I'm going to do nothing for the time being and just enjoy the bass, it's a keeper and it was a bargain. I did inquire with Pat Wilkins about price for a refinish and if I get cavalier with ca$h someday it will go to in for a beauty treatment:)
    Here is a shot of the rest of the bass...
    [​IMG]

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The way that's lifting, I would guess that something like wax got onto the wood before the finish was sprayed. It is definitely a defect in the finish, even though it may have taken a long time to appear.