1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NJ,NY,PA Repair/Setup Shop

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jake Morris, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

So having tried some new strings (velvet animas), I have realized I really need a good set up. Mostly a lot of buzzing from the fretboard and some string height adjustments I want. I live in north New Jersey and was wondering what the best place to go would be?
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

3. Jake Morris

I've heard of him. Have any experience with his repair/setup work?
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Bill Merchant set my bass up in 1980 and I'm still on the same bridge.

There are so many great luthiers in your general area including Jeff Bollbach, Arnold Schnitzer, David Gage shop, Kolstein shop. Ask Don Higdon here on the board. He may know someone close to you.
  5. isolated

isolated

He does good work. Quick turnaround, reasonable rates. He's in his shop in High Falls, NY most often, and I think that would be easier for you to get to if you got wheels....

But out here, it's almost embarrassing how many choices you have when it comes to setup/repair.
  6. Jake Morris

I got my bass at David gage and they've done some work on it, but it still has bad buzzing. I've heard upton does good set ups, but that's a bit far from me, but if they're better, I'll make the drive.
  7. dperrott

dperrott

There are many options, but Bill is my man. He put on a new fingerboard for me last week. It is amazing! He does great soundpost, and fingerboard work.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    There are a couple guys further South (in Jersey) I can personally recommend, but you have a pretty good selection up there. Also check out our free luthier's directory - and please let me know if we're missing any listings!
  9. shwashwa

shwashwa

any one of these guys would be fine. im sure upton is great but no need to drive there when you have access to these guys so much closer. i personally go to arnold for the bass that i bought from him and jeff for my other basses. if gage set up your bass in the past and its still not right call them and tell them. they may be able to help you. they're a good shop too. ive used them in the past as well. great work.
  10. Guidobass

Guidobass

Joe at Sweetest Sounds in Lyndhurst is fantastic! He's really a great guy and he does a fantastic job....
  11. Jake Morris

I'm going to give bill merchant a call and see what he can do.
  12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Believe it not Ritches has a guy there who isn't bad.

Bill at Dave's Sound can do a setup.

None of it's magic but I found that someone who does this 8 hours a day for twenty years is better than I am.

No surprise there.
  13. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I go to Bill & Dave at Daves Sound Repair Rt 10 Whippany. Great guys and very good.
  14. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Of course. My first bass came to me strung left-handed; Bill restrung it for me, re-cut the bridge, trimmed the overly long and tight soundpost and taught me how to prepare hot hide glue and close the open seams. For a hundred bucks. Plus tax.

That was four years ago. Since then, I've learned to do a lot of basic and not-so-basic repair work, but if I can't do it I call Bill.

If I can scrape together the $2500 or so it will cost, I'm going to make an appointment with him this spring for two new fingerboards, a bridge and some incidentals. I roll nickels like manhole covers, as folks used to say. The fact that I'm planning to pay him that kind of cash without a second thought should illustrate the regard I have for the man and his work. Plus, he's ****ing entertaining.
  15. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Gentlemen, this is a DOUBLE BASS thread. Please read before posting unhelpful advice. Thank you.
  16. basscat35

basscat35

There`s also Jay Vandekopple in Midland Park, NJ. He does great work and is extremely reasonable price-wise
  17. Jake Morris

Hahaha yea. I take my electric basses to Dave's sound for set ups every so often. Don't think I'll take my upright there though hahahah.
  18. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

+1 for Jay. He's a fantastic guy and helped me out of a bind this past summer.
  19. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    +1 for Bill Merchant. His shop won't remind you of an Audi showroom, but he will be very clear about what work you really need, what it will cost (and he's very fair on price), and will get your bass back to you quickly. A real mensch.
  20. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

+2 for Jay - he's the best!