NKBD: Alesis QS SCORE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by elgecko, Jan 4, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

Christmas comes late

I was in danger of having my Filipino card pulled for violation of Filipino Code 917.3, Failure to maintain a piano or piano-like instrument in ones home. There was always a piano around growing up and it became my first instrument when my parents forced me to take lessons at age 7. I quit the lessons eventually but never stopped playing. Years later and pianoless, I tried to cop some keyboard time every chance I got

I missed having a piano at my beck and call but have no room for one so a piano-like instrument it was. I couldn't really decide between a controller to use with my laptop or a heavier, self contained unit but was lurking Ebay and "used" sites in earnest. On the morning they listed it, I found an Alesis QS7 at the North Charlotte Guitar Center for $179 and gave them a call (there's another QS7 on the GC used site for $299)!

I had some apprehension since I have had a bad experience with used GC gear and I wasn't quite sure about their packing ability but decided it was worth a gamble, asking them to send it "signature required". I was expecting delivery today and since UPS usually rolls through my neighborhood around 6pm, I fully expected to be home to accept it. As luck would have it, I came home to the dreaded UPS InfoNotice stuck to my door. I called the UPS robot and made arrangements to pick it up at the local hub and the robot told me someone would call me within one hour. About 15 minutes later, the Man in Brown knocked on my door and handed me a box big enough to carry a body or two.

The box arrived in good condition but it wouldn't have mattered if it hadn't. To my great surprise, the box contained an SKB ATA hardcase! A $250 value! :hyper:

I assumed it didn't come with a case and didn't bother asking! The LCD is nice and bright, everything works fine and the keyboard is in remarkable condition considering it's pushing 15 years. It has more sounds than I know what to do with and I'm having a blast getting reacquainted with my first instrument. If I get my chops together, I might even be able to pick up a new double!

Final score: Alesis QS7 and SKB hardcase for $179!

[​IMG]

Oh yeah...

[​IMG]

There's even a Keith Emerson demo on it! :bassist:
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Nice! I really like the QS for it's classic kbd sounds. The Rhodes, Whurly md a couple of the organ patches are great. I snagged a 61 years ago off CL and when I have the urge to feel developmentally disadvantaged I attempt to play it :) mostly it get's used by a visiting bnd member to work on arrangements.
  3. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

Awesome when a surprise like that arrives! Great score!
  4. Epidrake

Epidrake

I love my QS 8.1. You really scored on that keyboard!!!!
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great boards and congrats on yours and that case was a nice cherry on top.
  6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

You got a great deal! I sold my QS7 with the same exact case for $325 a few years ago and I thought the buyer got a good deal at that price. I replaced that board with a QS8 which I just recently sold, but still have a QSR module for specific sounds I can't get out of my current keyboard setup.
  7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Wow, you stole that!
    Congrats.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

You know...for as many sounds as the QS7 has, the pianos are kind of meh! Not horrible, just not as tasty as some of the organ patches (Keith's C3, for instance).
  9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Yeah, I always had to use an external module for better piano sounds with it. I don't think the Hammond organ sounds are that great either, but the pipe organ sounds are among the best I've heard in a synth.