NLBD: Great River Pre and API Lunchbox!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sadowskyguy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Hello talkbass,

This may be the first "NLBD" (new lunch box day) on talkbass! I just got some new gear, and I wanted to post about it here. I just got an API Lunchbox and the Great River MP-500nv. My focus for this is recording bass guitar, but it is supposedly nice for vocals as well.

The studio where my band records at has a lunchbox with 4 preamps and I have been GASing ever since hearing those. Glad I pulled the trigger (it wasn't cheap though).

I did some recording last night and it was really nice. The Great River pre is based on a Neve 1073, with but improved noise floor, etc. The bottom end on this thing is huge!! The sound is more focused than anything I've used in the past, and has a certain depth to it that is very punchy. I've still got some learning to do with driving the input vs the output, as well as the controls on the bass guitar itself in comparison to the pre.

My next step will be to purchase the Inward Connections Brute compressor!

This stuff is tough on the wallet, but it is a great way to have high end recording gear, with mobility, at a decent price.

P.S- I've got the blank slots on the way. I'm not going to leave it gaping open. :)

Attached Files:

2. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

*blank slot -panels- on the way

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats it looks cool I didn't know these existed I'll have to check them out thanks for sharing it.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I see the blue thing is the power supply could you show pictures of the back?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Hot rig. Once I get the space again, a lunchbox with some nice front end is high on my GAS list

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Mmm... Great River. Love that pre!

8. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Yes the blue section is the power supply. I'm not at home to take the photo of the back, but will soon. It has lots of xlr inputs and outputs on the back.

Thanks for the comments, sorry for any GAS created by this ;) Now the dangerous part is all the empty slots...and all the available gear to fill those slots...

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They're known as 500 series. Very cool stuff.

10. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Photo hopefully attached

Attached Files: