1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NND: First Fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theNecatoR, Mar 31, 2014.

1. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

My Jazz Bass had been through changes since I bought it. Now I was not playing it a lot, so I decided to try something new and Odin blessed me with an Allparts neck that I scored for meager 110€ on eBay (some cosmetic issues).
    I was planing on waiting to let my technician install it, or to buy proper tools. But I could not and I simply installed it myself with nothing more than a screwdriver... I am not a smart man.
    I messed 3 screws from the tuning machines.
    So I decided to wait and let a professional finish the work, besides I had no flats with me... But I couldn't. So I strung some Rotos and did the setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was waiting to take pictures with a reflex... but I couldn't!
    I messed up my hand pretty bad with the screwdriver, but it was worth it.
    [​IMG]
    I played it for like 15 minutes and I'm loving the fretless sound! It is awesome! The ebony fretboard is delightful and it sounds almost like a voice sings, I wish I had gone fretless before!
    I can't wait until thursday, when I rehearse with my band and gear.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Looks great sorry about your hand I love unlined necks I have to get the nerve up to play one though.

3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Nice job. Congrats!

4. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Thanks, mate! I was actually afraid of getting an unlined neck, and thinking about installing or painting some lines. I did a quick run and I actually don't see the need though, plus black ebony looks wicked!

Edit: And about the hand, well it's on me, it was not pre-drilled and I was too impatient :bag: It's going to be ok tomorrow. :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bh2

bh2

Superb! I adore stack knob jazzers.

did the same with my hand screwing in some new machines on my fretted...

7. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

I should really have got holes drilled on the neck before screwing it on the body, haha.
    Stacked knobs was one of the first mods :) The next going to be sea foam over sunburst!

8. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

congrats! Saw this in the fretless club post and wanted to wish you all the best on your first fretless, hope it sounds as good as it looks.

9. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Thanks a lot! It does, I actually like it better than the new ones I tried on the store (maybe because I upgraded the pickups)