1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

no blending of volume for p/j with v/v/t

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BFunk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have a passive P/J with DiMarzio Model P and Model J. The controls are V/V/T with a 3 way pickup switch. The volume pots are 500K each. The tone pot is 250K. What is notice is that when I have the 3-way set in the middle, i.e. both pickups on, the volume controls don't seem to blend very well. Instead, if I have one pickup full-on the other one off, and then slowly increase the volume of the other pickup, nothing happens until about the last 1/4" of travel. Then the other pickup comes on full. The remaining 10% does not does not increase volume at all. I hear this is common in passive p/j circuits. Any suggestions on how I can get a smoother blending?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

use linear volumes for more shading at the top of their range, especially with 500ks.

also, if you have the 3-way, you can wire the volumes gibson-style with the pickups going to the clockwise lugs and the center lugs going to the switch.

this will also improve the tone and taper.

(the trade-off is you can't totally kill one volume without killing the entire signal, but you have a 3-way switch for that.)