No Brains

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lazarevicmass, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Hey, ladies and gentlemen! Question! I been playing for a few years now, i have a MIA Jazz Bass, i go from heavy to classic rock, to whatever bass line that gets me going! I have a lotta fun with it, love it! Now! Whats the easiest way, to learn notes, scales and all them things that we're supposed to learn? I know a lotta songs by heart, but i cant remember where anything goes on the bass; i want to be able to tell where the A is, or F, or G, or B, majors and minors! I learned to play by playing songs that i like, never went to school or had a teacher! Thank you!
  2. fearceol

fearceol

A teacher would be the best idea. Having said that, IMO the next best thing is to log onto www.studybass.com Go to the very first lesson and work your way s-l-o-w-l-y through each lesson in the order they are presented. This way, there will be no gaps or back pedaling in the learning process.

Best of luck ! :)
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Learning by ear is great. Knowing what notes are where takes some study.

You gotta know where to go if someone calls out "this one's in A, goes into D then E" ect.

A teacher or experienced player can show you.
  4. nysbob

nysbob

The good news is, you only need one brain.

Some of us are self-taught & others had help. If you are highly motivated, you can learn an awful lot off the printed page. If you are more oriented toward interaction, there are plenty of good teachers that can help you get wherever you need to go.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

I always thought, the best way to learn to play any kind of instrument, is to go ahead, get a song you like, take your time, and learn it how to play from the beginning to end, no short cuts, or giving up! After a few years doing that, i think its time to get down to basics.
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I spent a few days finding all the Es on the bass, then all the As, then all the Ds, etc. Knowing how an octave feels with your fingers is a start. Then you start going from one E to another and figuring out the pattern, then the As then the Ds, etc. Pretty soon the pattern of notes on a bass neck is pretty clear and you are on your way. Taking lessons would do me a whole lot of good, probably, but for the time being, I can tell you it is possible to teach yourself the neck, teach yourself how to read notation, charts, and tabs, and to be able to figure out how to finger different things. My technique is probably abysmal because it is entirely home grown, but it seems to work up to a point. I don't think there's an easy way, exactly.
  8. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Great point! Thank you!
  9. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Thanks everybody for the time!