1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

No breakup - should I replace tube?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by project_c, Dec 16, 2012.

1. project_c

project_c

I have a Fender Bassman tv15 which has always been a lot more difficult to push into overdrive / breakup than it should be. I am only able to get any tube grit / breakup with active basses with the gain on full and the volume at around 4 - any less than this and there's no breakup to the signal at all.

The amp sounds great but I love the mild grit it adds when pushed hard, and it seems like I'm having to push a bit too hard to get there - is this a sign that the tubes need replacing, or is it something else?
  2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

A lot of times the warm gooey breakup people associate with tube amps happens at the power stage of the amplifier. Since the TV15 features a solid state power amp, you won't be able to get the signature overdrive sound that a vintage Bassman would produce. I would expect that the tube preamp is more for a warm tone (in theory) than for overdrive.
  3. project_c

project_c

thanks for the reply but check the Friedland review on youtube - he is able to push these amps to breakup without much effort.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Try a new high gain preamp tube.
  5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

hmm you're right... perhaps it would be worth while to switch out the tube. There are a lot of different choices out there... maybe someone who also owns the amp and has played around with different tubes will chime in.
    Wish I could be of more help!
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

If the tube doesn't want to break up maybe you should try to work things out. There's obviously a lot going for your relationship if the tube is trying so hard not to let you go. Of course, it could turn into a fatal attraction kind of thing and nobody wants that. Good luck. Relationships can be hard.
  7. project_c

project_c

hmm maybe I'm not driving her hard enough. :)
  8. B-string

Be sure the volume on the bass is wide open. Raise the pickups closer to the strings.
  9. project_c

project_c

Thanks for the advice, the bass I'm using has a loud output so the issue isn't that the amp isn't getting enough from the bass. I was wondering if the lack of overdrive could be a sign of a dead / dying tube?
  10. B-string

It is possible, tubes can and do go weak.
  11. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I think you are hearing the mic clipping ? I had the dual ten worst amp I've ever heard I bought it based on that video Ed did and I returned it the same day. I think the only way you can do it is to get a tube preamp pedal like a Tube Works Blue Tube pedal they are inexpensive and really respond well to different tubes.
  12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Get a pedal. Not all amps are designed to be over driven. A pedal is designed to be over driven.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1 & many passive basses are louder than many active basses. My passive Telecaster bass has far higher output than any active bass I've ever used.
    But, I think that amp's really only designed for a mild overdrive, but if u can't get that, perhaps a higher gain tube-tho it's probly already got a 12ax7 in it, so you'd have to find a higher gain 12ax7 I s'pose.
    I know (Fender's) "Groove Tubes" have a numbering/colour code starting the gain "level". Maybe others, but, again, I know nuthink!
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I would pull out the stock Groove Tube 12ax7 and drop in a good tube.
    One of my favorites that doesn't cost a fortune is the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 Gold Pin. I have them in all my 12ax7 sockets.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are you using the active input or something? I only played one of them once, but I remember it being pretty easy to get distortion out of it with a Precision.
  16. edfriedland

edfriedland

I was able to get overdrive from the TV 15, but I was playing an active MM bass. It might be tougher with a passive instrument.
  17. project_c

project_c

Nope - that's definitely the amp breaking up, not the mic. And in terms of tone, I searched for a long time for an amp I liked, and to my ears, these things sound excellent, so the problem is not that I dislike the amp at all. I actually love it a lot.

No, using the correct input (input 1) for tube grit, and I do also have a Precision which has a very loud output, and I'm unable to get anything like distortion from it with this amp.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but this amp is in fact designed just for that gentle and mild tube drive, it's one of the reasons I got it.

Thanks for chiming in, Ed - actually, in the section before that, the gentle tube distortion you get with the passive Jazz, gain all the way up, is something I am unable to get even with an active Jazz ('11 USA deluxe), unless I also have the volume almost maxed out on the amp too. That's why I was wondering about this.

Thanks for this suggestion - it can't hurt to try it, at least. I have a suspicion that I might have a weak / dying tube, and that's what is behind this. I can push this amp into gentle overdive, but it has to be almost maxed out on both gain and volume to get there, even with active basses, and I just think it shouldn't be this difficult.