no headphones out

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Nov 26, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

first off i'm very sorry to post this as i'm sure it has been answered over and over

i've been trying to figure out for a while now what i would need in order to practice with my mesa walkabout amp using some headphones at night sice it does not have a headphone out

i found a few threads about the subject but are a bit confusing since the replies are aimed at specific problems which don't regard my situation

as i understand in some of these threads a headphone amplifier or a pedal of some sort is needed

what i'd simply like to know is how can i use the amp with my headphones and have playback, with a keen eye on sound fidelity

a headphone amp?
    a audio interface?
    a mixer ?
    a pedal ?

i cant seem to grasp a understanding of what i need

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

First question Is it the SS output (MOSFET) or the tube output?
    SS for silent disconnect the speaker and use the effects send to a headphone amp or mixer.
    If it is the tube output WA you can't do it silently with the combo.

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

As B-String said, if it is a SS amp, a small mixer is your best bet. I have a small Peavey 6 channel with USB I/O and headphones out for around $100. It was a really good investment.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

b string what do you mean? i thought the wa was a hybrid.. it does have the 1 tube, i mean i have just the head not the combo so that is partialy why i'm askig this as i do not have a cab and as much as i'd like to play through one i wouldn't want the neighbours to fall on me through the ceiling

anyway i do have a fx send and was in doubt if i could use that as headphone out as i googled it and nothing came up but im glad you cleared that for me

i would rather use a headphone amplfier if it can handle the amp and playback

but would i need just any headphone amp? would it need to have certain requirements? as in

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Mesa warns not to run the amp without a connected speaker load, so to do what you want to do, you'd need something like this: http://www.ratvalveamps.com/dummy-load

I don't own one or vouch for them, but it would appear to be a ready-made solution. Alternatively, you could go for a simple dummy load (assembly required) on the power stage, and run the direct XLR output or the effects loop into a headphone mixer or amp.

8. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

for the cost of the dummy load it would be cheaper to just buy a practice amp with a headphone out. you should be able to come up with something at $50 or less.

9. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

i turned it on an hour ago without a load and it seemed fine

any way that dummy load only works with amps up to 50 watts

10. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Or find a small mixer with an instrument input. Many of them have one.

11. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

see the thing is i'm desperate to use the head :crying:

12. Major Softie

Major Softie

It's going to be a lot easier to just pick yourself up a headphone bass amp for when you want to do this.

Here's just one example, but there are many:

[​IMG]

13. BassmanPaul

14. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

thanks Bassman Paul but i'd need playback to play along with drum machines and tracks

15. BassmanPaul

My post was aimed at this sentence. From your latest post, the best thing to get would be a micro mixer. You can get them for a couple of tens of dollars. Computer out or MP3 player into a stereo channel and the bass into another. No need to use the Mesa.

16. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

thanks all, im gonna get a nice huge cab at this point :D

17. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The mixer is still a good option, use the effects send to one channel of the mixer and mix your Mesa tone with whatever you want.

18. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

i'm going to do just that AND get a nice cab along the way

thanks lads :bassist:

19. Crater

Crater

The Walkabout uses a solid state MOSFET power stage and a tube preamp. It does NOT need a cabinet connected nor a dummy load. Running with no load won't hurt the amp. (Email Mesa if you don't believe me)

Run the Walkabout's DI output to the small mixer of your choice, plug headphones into the mixer and play. You can use the other inputs of the mixer to accommodate MP3 players, drum machines, ect...

20. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Slight correction - it's only able to handle 50W. You can hook a bigger head up to it, but you better not turn the volume way up - which you shouldn't need to do in your application.

The amp is a tube/solid-state hybrid, which means it might be safe to run without a load, and according to another poster here, Mesa will confirm by phone or email that it's OK. I was nervous because I glanced at the owner's manual, which has no schematic, and on the very first page of warnings, they say not to run it without a load. That could just be boilerplate from their all-tube amp user manuals. Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes, I'd *definitely* contact Mesa for confirmation. The fact that you were able to run it for an hour with no load, and it didn't just stop working or catch fire, isn't sufficient, IMO.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unless an amp has an output transformer, which I'm positive the WA doesn't, you can run it without a load.