No idea what I should do

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassMoley, Dec 21, 2013.

1. BassMoley

BassMoley

I made a post a few days ago asking what how to get out of a playing rut. I have absolutely no clue what to practice or what I should be doing at all. I've looked up endless information online and absolutely nothing has helped in the slightest. No video lessons or explanations or anything has done me any good. For the past 4 or 5 days I've wanted to just throw my bass and amps into the trash and say f*ck this I'm done. Which obviously in the long run I don't really want to do but that's how I feel. No amount of scale practice or trying to learn theory or anything has helped at all. I've been stuck on one song for what seems like ages and can never get it down right. Some days ill nail it others days is a train wreck. And yeah everyone has a bad day, but apparently my bad days are 2/3 days. Nothing I do is working and nothing I try is helping. I don't really have any interest in a teacher because I couldn't get one anyway, and everything in my life I've wanted to learn I've done it myself. But I have no clue where to start at now.
  2. bass_walloper

bass_walloper

Join a new band (or two). Find a decent group of musicians and see what happens.

I've found that the biggest gains I've made in technique as well as overall musical awareness have come as a result of playing songs that I normally wouldn't have had I not been in a particular band. Maybe try playing stuff that's a little outside your ability so you have something to work towards, or try some different playing technique that you've never tried before. Try playing music from a different genre than you usually do.

I know very well how frustrating it can be if you're stuck in a rut or just not getting anywhere trying to learn a specific song. I hope this helps you in some way.
  3. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose. Supporting Member

If you want to learn something and have no clue how to do it yourself... get a teacher.

Yeah, I read that you're not interested. It just doesn't make sense.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

When what you are trying isn't working, do something else. Unless you're on a deadline to learn a song or songs for some audition or gig, move the music focus around and play different things. Some days the brain is just not ready to take on new stuff. Fine. Play old things that you know. Play melodies, kids songs, church songs, TV commercial melodies. Simple scales, make up your own scales, make up different rhythms. Not everything you play has to be impressive. Enjoy simple music.

After a while go back to what you were working on and see if you don't have a new point of view. Much of playing music is mental. While we think we are learning music, we really are learning how we play music. To play well is to know yourself well.

Its a journey without a final destination. Enjoy the trip.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

You were given some pretty good advise on the other post. If that did not lead you somewhere. I do not think this post will either.

Get a teacher - you need to speak to a teacher so together you two can find where you need to be concentration your efforts.

If you are relying on teaching yourself, your teacher does not know what he is doing. He has no clue what you need. Find a real teacher to guide you. Less than $100 (US) will give you a month of weekly lessons. You'll spend that much on how to books. Lot of people are reluctant to take on a teacher. It need not be a long term commitment, go for it, best $100 bucks you will ever spend.

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Practice what you already know. Learn new stuff. Find people to play with - That's the biggest one.
  8. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

how about finding a kid who got/gets their first bass for christmas and work teaching them some basics? it may be a way to make it fun again.
  9. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

You're in a rut. Stop Digging. Leave your bass in its case and spend the Xmas/New Year period just enjoying music as an observer.

Put on your favourite tunes and just f-ing rock-out. Its the party season and your bass will still be there when you get your head together.
  10. ics1974

ics1974

Concentrate on learning songs.
  11. davrip

davrip

I don't know your musical tastes, but I always find blues helps me at least keep
    practicing if I hit a rut.

There's a million shuffles online or write your own using something like
    "hyrogen" drum machine. Play along for hours in different keys or neck
    positions.

Then listen to tons of blues from the masters and get Ed Friedland's blues
    book.

It's not far from "The sky is crying" to "The Cramp stomp" and it's loads of
    fun.
  12. repoman

repoman

The best thing to do is to start a third thread about how you don't know what to do, because everyone knows that three's a charm. :)
    Put the bass down. Walk away slowly. Only come back to it when you feel like you have a burning urge to play. It may be next week, it may be next month, it may very well be never.