No Love for the BF-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Dec 1, 2012.

1. necropain

necropain

there seems to be no love out there for the boss bf-3 flanger i find it to be a magnificent pedal, especially i think the gated mode is amazing.
    anyone know why there isn't much love for this pedal
  2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Not a ton of love for flangers in general but it gets overshadowed by the predecessor, the BF -2 and also the mxr.
  3. Insouciance

Insouciance

A lot love the BF-2 for the analog quality. It's got that one RES internal trimpot that makes it get pretty wild. It has the potential to be modded to sound incredible on the bass, yet in its stock form it sounds amazing. Also the Justin Chancellor influence. I believe the BF-2 is one of the coolest, and biggest sleeper pedals Boss ever produced.

As far as the Japanese vs. Taiwan argument, the pedal was identical aside from one opamp being replaced for another at one point. Either way, it can be modded to whatever.
  4. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster Supporting Member

I agree that the BF-2 sounds so amazing, many of us never even gave the BF-3 a chance. That's the boat I'm in anyway. I'm so satisfied with the 2, that I've never even picked up a 3 at a store to demo.

If there's a pretty serious following for the 3, perhaps I need to go give it a try.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Because it's not a boutique pedal Boss needs to secretly start a boutique line their products are well built and well priced and I admit I often get caught up in the boutique is better frame of mind and overlook Boss and MXR.
  6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

When I had my BF-3 and BF-2 I preferred the 3 for its versatility and even tone. I then moved on to a Ibanez FL-10 Swell Flanger and love it!
  7. Massimo636

Massimo636

What's the mod for the BF-2 that makes it incredible on bass?
  8. Insouciance

Insouciance

9. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I sold my Japan made BF-2 after I got a BF-3 .... BF-3 is better for bass vs stock BF-2 IMHO & better that modded BF-2 because of the gated mode... also IMHO
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I also liked the gated mode and used it to do a rather convincing mock-sequencer thing (with the BSW and sometimes with a phaser). It worked even better looped through a LS-2. I ended up selling it because I did not have a real use for this pedal, although the sequencer thing was fun to toy around with. I can't say I was impressed with the flanging effect, ultra or not.
  11. necropain

necropain

+1 the gated mode with distortion make some amazing synth sounds
  12. CauliColin

CauliColin

Mine is currently being ordered in (stupid Boss and their unpredictable delivery. I demo'd a used one though, and it sounded magnificent. I even managed to get a space-age vibrato going on.
    Loved it.
  13. Darknut

Exactly what mine gets used for every gig .... plus a little reverb :)
  14. necropain

necropain

I never really thought about using some reverb with that i will have to try it. im usin an RV-3 another seemingly unloved pedal but i think is great. any setting ideas
  15. fasto

fasto

no love for the BF-3 because it boosts volume when activated, i hate that.
  16. Darknut

My setup for fake synth:

BF-3 sometimes gated, sometimes not depending on song.
    EHX Micro Pog dry signal 100 % , high octave only (high octave knob about 1:00)
    Rat clone for dirt
    & a little Reverb really makes it huge ... I've use spring & plate.

Key is to find the sweet spot in the blend
  17. necropain

necropain

my fake synth setup is

BF-3 either gated or ultra depending on the song
    Octave down- currently behringer though i want a Foxrox Octron really bad but the behringer gets the job done
    and then i use Either a DS-1 or DS-2(note those were my first two pedals in general) or my homebrew Bazz Fuss since my DOD grunge broke :(

i still gotta say i dont care how much hate i get for this the DOD grunge(not bass grunge) is still my favorite distortion pedal
  18. necropain

necropain

i have never gotten a volume boost from mine
  19. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

I have both an (unmodded) BF-2 and a BF-3. I love the BF-2's sound, but really can't stand the BF-3... The only reason I'm keeping it is as a tap tempo hard-cut tremolo.

--
  20. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I use the BF-3 and have always liked it, not loved it. Tried the gate *for the first time* at last Saturday's gig, and it killed. Guitarist looked over at me after the song I used it in gate mode on and said, "That was killer, was that the flanger??" Success!!

So maybe some love is growing for it. I do love the straight flanger (not the "extra" version, just normal) on top of fuzz, and there is one song where I am using it on fast repeated 1/8th notes into a bit of OD on my amp and I like that too, the movement of the flanger is apparent on top of the repeated 1/8th notes.