No luck with Q-tron - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lordradish, Mar 22, 2014.

1. lordradish

lordradish

Media:
    Albums:
    I have one of the older Q-trons, the silver one that comes in the wooden box. Every now and then I take it out and mess with it, and inevitably, it goes away. I'm running my Wal 5 through it, and I'll be damned if I can get any sort of consistent sound, in terms of the envelope. It often sounds muddy, and the envelope only seems to trigger in a very narrow range. I used to like my Moogerfooger because it seemed to have a lot more versatility. Anyone else have this problem? I use the "mix" or the "bp" for the filter setting.

I've tweaked the peak and gain knobs, and I can't seem to get anything decent or usable out of this pedal. It always seems like I'm overloading the signal, even with the gain all the way down.

I put the boost switch on, because when I don't, it seems like the bottom just drops out when I kick it on.

I'm curious, because it seems like some of you out there really like this pedal, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Any suggested settings? Looking for that classic Mu-tron sound, or something similar. Thoughts?

2. Swift713

Swift713

I'm surprised to read that you're overloading the pedal. Do you say that just because the light goes on? Because IME that light is meaningless.

3. lordradish

lordradish

Media:
    Albums:
    It sounds a bit overloaded, although that light is on, constantly.

4. Swift713

Swift713

The light means nothing. I used to keep the boost switch on and the gain around 9:00 or 1/4 ( I forget how the knobs were oriented). It's a bit unruly, a compressor afterwards can help. Some folks just can't get along with it but I loved it. The LP setting will get you a fatter sound.

5. Register to disable this ad