1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

No more music for me, thank you.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Crg2, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Crg2

Crg2

I'm done.

7 on-and-off years with a controlling frontman who can't go two days without entirely changing a playlist, and having to "Switch" to bass when I'm a better guitar player than he is.

A recent stint at forming my own band for which I couldn't find a drummer for over a year, and with a guitar player who wouldn't so much as put out a flyer or help me do even the most minimal of promotion.

When I played guitar, I was fine singing every so often; as a bassist, I'm tired of the controlling bandleader "assigning" me lead vocals while I'm still learning how to be a bassist.

Many of you have weathered worse, but I'm just not cut out to put up with band politics and the attitudes of members. When I was younger, and played guitar with a group of far more promising young musicians, I could handle silly band nonsense, but those bright, talented players spoiled me, which left me unprepared to play with the songwriting-impaired "mere mortals" of my later years.

I didn't get to the point where I owned a Fodera, but I have a few nice production models, and, for a fair price, I'm looking to sell them. I'm also getting rid of the relatively new P.A.

In college, my professors told me that I have a gift for photography and film making. I can do that either alone, or with assistants whom I don't need to re-hire after the completion of a project. So, I'm off to learn to be better with a camera.

I'm just venting. Sorry. I should have wised up much earlier along in the 30 years I've been playing, and just stopped. I feel quite foolish. Just frustrated. Feels like I wasted a lot of time and money on being a solid player, and, while there are no guarantees of a reward for being hard-working, diligent and patient, I feel a little "used-up" right now.

Avenge me: make some good music; keep pushing to make the bass the most prominent instrument.

Thanks for the ear.

2. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

Meh, you'll be back. I've quit, gotten the bug, quit again, and gotten the bug more times than I can count. I stopped playing completely from 1990 to 2004, and I mean I didn't even own a bass or an amp. I was so disgusted with the state of music, so tired of dealing with douchebag club owners, ego-maniac guitar players and lousy, lazy "vocalists" that I had just decided enough was enough. I get enough stress at work. But just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

You'll be back. But just in case you're not...what are you selling?

3. Crg2

Crg2

P.M. me tomorrow.

4. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

Sorry to hear that, man. Good luck with photography and filmmaking! Maybe after some time has passed you'll be in a better place to play music again. For now, I hope you have a clean break and have fun with your new pursuits.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crg2

Crg2

Thank you!! I really appreciate that.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow, yeah that's a bummer. But you're on the right forum to vent/rant and after a little break with some healing time hopefully you'll feel like your good o self again soon. As the old saying goes "you can't keep a good man down". Cheers and best wishes.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I took a 2 year break - same frustrations. I'm back. A break never hurt anyone.

9. obimark

obimark

I really think music is just becoming too fragmented and specialized, that the idea of keeping a long-term band together becomes very tough.
    I mean when you have people listing what they do with all these sub-genres within sub-genres, it's a miracle any two people can agree on anything in music now.
    The CL ads for bandmembers show this as well...all these bizarre metal genres, alternative and country genres. And now with this new emphasis on hillbilly folk music (banjoes and acoustic guitars without any bass to speak of)
    And then to finally get a decent band together, work up 35 songs and play out to an audience who is either not interested at all, or just not there...
    I feel you, not far off from this point myself after several failed bands (will see what happens in my current band). (but I will always play bass even if it is in my room and not in a band)

The way I see it, that is how I started playing anyhow- along with records in my room. Nothing wrong with it at all if it comes back to it.

10. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

maybe you can find enjoyment with a bass outside of the band.....many here do.....hopefully you don't give up on music tho'.....film making can involve compromises on a level that would make even the most un compromising band mates seem like mary poppins....

11. joebar

joebar

I hear ya bro
    I gave up on bands too

12. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

Bands always come and go, good luck with the next one, BP for Life. B.

13. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

It seems as though you do need a break, but I wouldn't give up on playing entirely. As a relative novice/hobbyist, I can only offer a couple of alternatives:

1. Pursue what you are really good at, by all means, but keep practicing.
    2. Consider becoming a "hired gun" for short-term music projects, without having to be locked into a band.
    3. Play for free, if and when the occasion arises, which combines 1 and 2. Henry Rollins said it best: "I'd rather be heard than paid!"

Just my nickel...

14. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    I feel ya man. Going through the same thing myself. With me I had enough of hauling my gear around to play 4 hours and get paid barely enough to cover my gas and meal for the night.

I'm spending more time building basses now than playing them, and I'm getting the same buzz from that that I used to get when I started playing 40 years ago. I know I'll be in a band again, but like you I need a break for a while.

Hope you find what you want to do, but keep an open mind because that bug to play will creep up on you again. I can feel mine getting closer every day.

Good luck.

15. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

My god :eek: This is a world-wide trend???? It's happening here in Belgium, too.

To the OP, do not sell everything - you will be back and regret certain sales. Best of luck, man!

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that and music is so much like love it can be so beautiful one minute but drive you absolutely crazy the next. If you make a movie I would love to be in it I'm not that great looking but I am one heck of an actor ( I was married for ten years) :)

17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

+1 to Eddie's post - don't sell everything, the mentioned 'bug' may bite again.

I'm not quite sure I get the whole idea of quitting over this. You can certainly keep making music without a band! For example, you can be your own band. As you're able to play more than one instrument, you can write, arrange and play your own songs. And no one will give you crap. I think that's not such a bad deal, and I've gone a similar road after my last band split.

Insert lotr meme here: "One does not simply QUIT making music"

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Unless you really need the money I'd say keep the gear for a while. It will still be viable even in a couple of years if you want to take up music again, selling may just be a loss of money. As opposed to photography/video equipment - I tired of trying to make a photography business going a few years ago but still have the company and the equipment, and now that I'm getting the interest back a lot has happened in terms of for instance better camera bodies. That gear I should have sold at the time when it still had a value, but music gear doesn't age quite as quickly.

19. Geri O

Geri O

Another one here that took a 21-year break...

That actually turned into being part of building the largest PA company in the state, a lot of traveling and touring, doing production for national bands, and generally a really fun ride.

For a while.

The whole time, I didn't own a bass and I actually avoided situations where I was close to playing or musicians, knowing that I'd fall off the wagon if I did. And sure enough, last summer (2013), I grew very weary of the PA business around the time I was asked to play occasionally at church. Well, in no time, I was into 3 basses, playing every other Sunday and Wednesday, and enjoying a subbing situation that I find very invigorating. And now, I have 2 band projects going on that look very promising. I did not see this coming at all, but I'm blessed beyond measure to be back doing what I dearly love and at my age, no less (56).

So you can never say never....:D

20. Winfred

Winfred

I feel your pain, bro. I quit playing about 15 years ago, and took 10 years off after that. I still loved music, I just couldn't stand musicians. I got sick of all the same crap you're sick of. But it passed, and I decided to get back into the game on my terms.

Don't sell everything. Keep enough gear to be a "for hire" bassist. You might luck into a band that meets your needs. Could turn into a regularly gigging band.

21. chuckNC

chuckNC

Don't hate the music. Hate the musicians. Basic mental hygene.

If you knew how much music you loved was made in acrimonious circumstances you might not even love the music anymore.