No one eats in movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by megafiddle, Mar 6, 2014.

1. megafiddle

megafiddle

Ever notice that whenever there is a movie scene in a restaurant or diner, the actors will order food
    but never eat it? In fact, it usually results in an argument, with someone walking off.

Kind of strange that dining would be used for such a specific theatrical effect.
    Not somethimg that most of us would do.

-

2. Noot

Noot

Finally, someone calls it!
    And how they always say "no thanks, I'm not hungry" or "I just lost my appetite" or how they throw up when they hear bad news. I mean who does that? I've never ever lost my appetite over anything :)

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Exactly. 95% of the dinner scenes I've watched, they ordered but never ate or paid. Some one always walks away.

They never show us what happens after the waiters run after them to remind them they neither ate nor paid.:D

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

From my little knowledge of film making, I've been told that usually when scenes involve food or drink, they don't actually eat or drink because, when filming various takes of the same scene (to get different angles, or to redo parts of the scene), if the actors have been eating or drinking the props, then the food and beverages have to look exactly the same in each shot for continuity sake, which is hard to do.

You may notice that most times, even in a cup that is not clear glass, you can see that there is no liquid in it. It's just empty. I've always found it kind of silly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Hmm...

You have a good point, but there are a few notable exceptions. The "Ill have what she's having scene" in "When Harry met Sally".

The "Lobster scene" in "Splash" is another.

There are a couple of scenes where they eat in "Good fellows" as well as I recall.

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

In The Matrix, when Agent Smith and Cypher meet, the beef Cypher eats just blows my mind.:p

8. odin70

odin70

9. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

first great shout on Cypher eating that beef. that scene is gold. delicious beefy gold.

second THE EMPTY CUP THING INFURIATES ME MORE THAN ANY OTHER THING THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN IN A FILM. I dont mind gross continuity errors, poor acting, messed up lines, hell I loved Sharknado. BUT WHY ARE PEOPLES CUPS SO CLEARLY EMTPY ALL THE TIME?!?! ITS NOT THAT HARD TO FILL UP A CUP.

sorry. I'll calm down now.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

This. Also if they end up doing 30 takes of the same scene then they have to eat 30 times.

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Yeah, all the actors would be fat then. Remember Joey from friends? :D

Last night I was watching a series and there was a giant Turkey on the table and the actor was eating small bits of vegetables only.:p

12. Rob22315

Rob22315

There's a 40 minute stretch in the movie Fargo where all you see is people eating.

13. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Brad Pitt is always eating in his movies.

lowsound

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

15. Immigrant

Immigrant

That's a peeve of mine actually. It happens more on TV than movies, but "to go" coffee cups are obviously always empty. No one points at stuff or moves their arms around that fast with a fully loaded, scorching hot cup of go juice. If I was a director, the cups would be refilled between takes with 190° water so the actors have to act normal or else visit the medic.

They probably tell him not to and he forgets. I've heard he is the dumbest person ever. He's a himbo.

16. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

brad pitt is eating in every scene he's in, ever.

17. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Some of those actresses don't eat in real life, either.

18. electracoyote

electracoyote

This is probably true.

But some of the "eating" scenes are pretty memorable. Like a zombie feeding. Or that restaurant scene in The Godfather.

19. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

One of my friends in high school gave the advice that on a date, you should always order soup, because no one looks good chewing.

And actors are paid to look good.

20. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

In "Duck You Sucker" aka "A Fistful of Dynamite" there's a scene with eating which is intentionally disturbing.

I think the assumption in many cases is that it just doesn't look good when people are eating on camera and so you're more likely to see it when the subject is meant to look bad.

21. mbelue

mbelue

Comedy gold right there.