1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

no poles pups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Jan 22, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

i'd like to replace the pickup casing of a "no open poles" pickup so that it's poles are exposed

problem is, i don't know if this pickup has pole pieces underneath the enclosed casing (unless i open it up) and i'd just end up destroying the only closed casing i have for it..

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The vast majority of pickups with closed covers do not use traditional pole pieces. What kind of pickup is it?

3. line6man

line6man

All magnetic pickups have pole pieces.
    Look at the backside of the pickup to see whether or not the pickup is epoxy-potted. If there is no epoxy, try gently pulling up on the cover. If it's removable, it will pop off. Otherwise, it should be clear that the cover is permanently attached.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Even blade-type pickups?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Obviously, yes.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Conventional, pole-shaped "poles"?

8. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

the pickup is not epoxy-potted and the underneath is sealed with copper plating that serves as a "Dont Go There" kinda warning

the pickup in question is a bartolini taken from a modulus flea

can i expose it's poles with an open pole encasing?

doest it even have poles?

the encasing is really worn and i'd like to change it for a project
    but the only encasing i have is with opennings for the pole pieces

9. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

Why not cut some thin slices of stainless steel rod and glue them on the pickups

10. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

because the plastic casing is really torn and replacing the entire thing would make more sense

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I think think is a very bad idea. First, you don't know what the pole configuration is. Second, if you were able to get the cover off, your holes would have to be machine shop accurate to look right. Third. The poles would still be recessed behind the cover. You would have to specifically light the pickups to see into the shadows of your new holes. I've had a few sets of Barts. They seem to have all been potted

12. line6man

line6man

They are called "pole pieces" because of their function in the magnetic circuit. The physical specs can vary considerably, however. The OP did not specify traditional bipole magnets, just that he wanted his pickups' poles exposed.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why do you want to do that? Just for looks?

Think about that for a moment.

You most likely can't change the cover on the pickup, and if it has a closed cover, it probably doesn't have round pole pieces.

14. "Q"

"Q"

What everyone has failed to tell you is that with a covered pickup the poles you would be exposing would likely be a black ceramic magnet which would not be very attractive.

15. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

black shiny ceramic... not cool?.. :D