No ProTools here...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SteveC, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I've been doing a session with an older local guy (Sinatra type tunes) in a basement studio. It's OK money and isn't taking too much of my time but it's interesting.

Here's part of the control room...

[​IMG]

For you younger guys, that's tape that we're recording to, not a hard drive. Pretty old school.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Well I'll be - you really can use duct tape for anything :D !
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I think those tape machines were steam powered, weren't they?
  4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Not quite steam, but they are pretty old. I'm a little surprised you can still get tape for them.
  5. audiomitch

audiomitch

I spent years with reel to reel machines and then ADATs. I'll definitely keep Pro Tools. I am too spoiled with random access editing, no loss bounce/copy, a lovely lack of required maintenance, having to buy tape, etc etc.

Although I've heard of people tracking on tape and then transferring to Pro Tools. Or more commonly tracking on Pro tools and then mastering to a 1/2" half track at 30ips.

Whatever keeps the creative juices flowing :)
  6. mcm

mcm

Awesome! Im recording in 2 weeks. It will be done all analog. If anyone hasnt ever a/b'ed protools stuff to analog, same song, it has to be heard to be believed. There is a big difference in sound.
  7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

ProTools sux - use Reaper and some decent preamp plugins and/or tape emulation plugins.