1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

No ProTools here...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SteveC, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I've been doing a session with an older local guy (Sinatra type tunes) in a basement studio. It's OK money and isn't taking too much of my time but it's interesting.

Here's part of the control room...

[​IMG]

For you younger guys, that's tape that we're recording to, not a hard drive. Pretty old school.
  2. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Well I'll be - you really can use duct tape for anything :D !
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I think those tape machines were steam powered, weren't they?
  4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Not quite steam, but they are pretty old. I'm a little surprised you can still get tape for them.
  5. audiomitch

audiomitch

I spent years with reel to reel machines and then ADATs. I'll definitely keep Pro Tools. I am too spoiled with random access editing, no loss bounce/copy, a lovely lack of required maintenance, having to buy tape, etc etc.

Although I've heard of people tracking on tape and then transferring to Pro Tools. Or more commonly tracking on Pro tools and then mastering to a 1/2" half track at 30ips.

Whatever keeps the creative juices flowing :)
  6. mcm

mcm

Awesome! Im recording in 2 weeks. It will be done all analog. If anyone hasnt ever a/b'ed protools stuff to analog, same song, it has to be heard to be believed. There is a big difference in sound.
  7. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

ProTools sux - use Reaper and some decent preamp plugins and/or tape emulation plugins.