1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

No radious, flat necks. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edpal, Jan 8, 2013.

1. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

IT's the Jerzy Droz thing - he has the flat fingerboards. What's that like, anything it helps or hinders.?
  2. FrednBass

FrednBass

I guess that some people think is better and others think is worst; you have to try it and see for yourself to come to a conclusion.
    There's no definitive answer.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Had Drozd for a short while. Nice, unique instruments.

Nothing 'good or bad' about the flat board (and it is flat... feels like an infinite radius). Many who play a lot above the 12th fret like a flatter board for, I assume, a very consistent feel up there, and ease of chording, etc.

The entire Drozd neck, at least the stock necks that I've played on the 5 or 6 Drozd's that I played over at Dan Lenard's shop (Luthier's Access Group), were unique and felt very different than any other neck I've ever experienced. As you point out, the completely flat board, combined with a rather wide spacing at the nut, and an unusaul 'ramp' type feel to the back of the neck (think of one of those very chunky P Bass necks with the back of the neck sanded to be flat, like a 'thumb ramp'. Very different feeling neck.

Nothing 'good or bad' about it, but it is different. I had not issue getting used to it, but was moving more and more toward a more traditonally sound, look and feel for my basses. The Drozd was my last gasp at 'hippie sandwich':p before I gave that all up.
  4. kevteop

kevteop

I've only ever played one but the neck on that felt a bit like a classical guitar.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think I would love to try one... especially a Drozd.
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Me too. I like flatter radius boards. Super flat would be cool!
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

For me it's odd. On a guitar flat is best, in fact, necesary because I play with a bottleneck slide. So I'm used to flat necks.

And then I decided to order a bunch of pre-radiused fingerboard ebony stock for future use before the supply shut down. And the question came up: "What radius"? So I had to go through all may basses measuring the curvature and then trying to decide what I thought. Much to my surprise, I like my Alembic with the 10" radius best. But comparing to my other basses which were mostly 12" or 15" I decided that while it felt comfy, I really didn't want to go with that much curve and decided to stick with the more traditional 12 or 15. I have a 7 string that is nearly flat and I feel like it would be better with a bit of a curvature, but the flat neck doesn't drive me insane or anything.

As for a Jerzy Drozd, I'd take one of those flat neck or otherwise!
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

I like a playing on a flatter board, but I'd love to try a completely flat radius neck. I think I'd like it.
  9. Nahguavkire

Nahguavkire

I've just finished epoxy coating my MIM fretless Jazz fingerboard and I refinished it with a flat fingerboard. Absolutely no radius whatsoever. I love it.
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I imagine a flatter board would make string bending easier. My left hand fingers point slightly upward where they meet the fretboard. Radius makes the fretboard under the lighter strings more perpendicular to my fingers. If it were flat my fingers would tend to push the strings up out of tune more easily... once I got used to that I imagine I would like it. Bending is fun.

That's an educated guess, I never played a flat board.

Torzal seems an interesting concept to me.
  11. mark roberts

mark roberts Gold Supporting Member

I had an extended range bass with a flat fretboard. If all I played were flat boards, I might get used to it. But, I prefer a radius. Over the wide boards of an extended-range bass, I feel it is a more natural for fretboard finger placement to have a bit of radius. I suppose there may be plenty of arguments otherwise based upon playing format/style, but I will play a "personal preference" card here. To each, their own.
  12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I have found there to be little difference for me personally. I never liked the higher arc fretboards like 7-9-10-12, the always made me fight the neck. I have had many people in my shop play my 5 with the flat fretboard, and probably 60% or so liked the flat fretboard. I really think it's something each player has to approach with an open mind and give it a try.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

A neck may feel different, but after playing it for say half an hour. You ajust. It's a personal thing.
  14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I love necks with flat backs.
  15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Personally I don't really dig flat boards. It's probably mostly due to the fact that all my basses have been 7.25" radius, but that's what feels natural to me. Flat boards just feel awkward, I'm not even a fan of the 9.5" radius on Fender standards. But, it's a personal choice, I understand that some people aren't fans of radiused boards.

Not really sure about the claim that flatter boards facilitate easier note bending, I think that has more to do with finger strength, as I have no problem note bending on my vintage radius necks.