1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

No response from Bass PLayer Looking ad...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I have posted the following ad on my local Kijiji (Cdn Craigslist) and I get either 0 responses or the occasional crackpot that obviously don't read the ad because they want everything that I don't. Here is a copy of the ad...

I am interested in doing some local stuff for fun and make a few $$$.

****I am NOT interested in punk,heavy metal, grunge etc...***

If you like 70's and 80's classic rock let's chat. My likes include AC/DC, Trooper, Streetheart, Ted. Nugent, George Thorgood, Skynard, The Who, The Stones, Van Halen, 5440, Kiss to name a few.

Looking for an ego free enviorment and some guys that are serious about making some music and having a bit of weekend warrior fun

I also send along a copy of my song list and let them know that I am open to learning new materal to anyone that seems 1/2 way normal. Here is a copy of my song list ( 8 pages in Word )
    Is my material just too dated? Is my ad stupidly worded?Or am I the problem and wanting too much?

Song List

4 Non Blonds
    • What’s Up
    Concrete Blonde
    • Joey
    Dido
    • Thank You
    Natalie Imbruglia
    • Torn
    Ted Nugent
    • Cat Scratch Feaver
    The Doors
    • Roadhouse Blues
    ZZ Top
    • Sharp Dressed Man
    • Legs
    • Give me all your lovin
    • Tush
    George Thorgood
    • Bad to the Bone
    • I Drink Alone
    • Get a Hair Cut
    Pearl Jam
    • Jeremy
    • Last Kiss

Aerosmith
    • Come Together
    • Walk This Way
    Golden Earring
    • Twilight Zone
    • Radar Love
    The Beatles
    • Twist and Shout
    • Back In the USSR
    The Who
    • Baba O’Riley
    • Won’t Get Fooled Again
    • Squeeze Box

The Eagles
    • Life In te Fast Lane
    Bob Segar
    • Old Time Rock n Roll
    • Silver Lake
    Bob Seger
    • Turn the Page
    Poison
    • Talk Dirty to Me
    • Every Rose has its Thorn
    Bon Jovi
    • Dead or Alive
    Lenord Skynard
    • Simple Man
    • Sweet Home Alabama
    • Call me the Breeze
    Wilson Picket
    • Mustang Sally
    Wide Mouth Mason
    • Superstition
    • Ocean Pearl
    • Love You All
    Northern Pikes
    • Things I do for Money
    Van Halen
    • Tattoo
    • You Really Got Me

Deep Purple
    • Smoke on the Water
    Led Zepplin
    • Whole Lot of Love
    • Rock n Roll
    • Kashmir
    Wild Cherry
    • Play that Funky Music
    BTO
    • Takin Care of Business
    John Cafferty
    • Garden of Eden
    • On the Dark Side
    • Tender Years
    • NYC Song
    Red Hot Chillies
    • Dani California
    • By The Way ( A work in progress)
    The Cars
    • Magic
    • Best Friends Girl
    Quiet Riot
    • Bang Your Head
    Montly Crew
    • Smokin in the Boys Room
    Judas Priest
    • Livin After Midnight
    • You Got Another Think Coming
    Trooper
    • Thin White Line
    • Janine
    April Wine
    • Tonight is A Wonderful Time
    David Wilcox
    • Riverboat Fantasy
    Otis Redding
    • Stand By Me
    Bruce Springstin
    • Born In the USA
    The Scorpions
    • Rock You Like a Hurricane
    Neil Young
    • Rockin in a Free World
    INXS
    • Pretty Vegas
    Nazareth
    • This Flight Tonight
    Streetheart
    • Under My Thumb
    • Here Comes the Night
    • What Kind of Love is This
    • Snow White

G n R
    • Sweet Child of Mine
    Georgia Seattleites
    • Hands to Yourself

Seether
    • Rise Above this
    AC\DC
    • Dirty Deeds
    • Shook Me
    • Jailbreak
    Sheryl Crow
    • Soak up the Sun
    Kidd Rock
    • All Summer Long
    Helix
    • Heavy Metal Love
    Rod Stewart
    • Hot Legs
    Joe Cocker
    • Unchain My Heart
    Free
    • All right now
    Heart
    • Never
    Van Morrison
    • Brown Eyed Girl
    • Tupelo Hony
    Steve Miller
    • Jet Airliner

Dwight Twilley
    • Girls
    Lenny Kravitz
    • Fly Away
    Aldo Nova
    • Fantasy
    Bad Company
    • Feel Like Makin Love
    Beastie Boys
    • Fight For Your Right
    Billy Idol
    • Money Money
    Black Sabbath
    • Paranoid
    Boston
    • More than a Feeling
    • Foreplay Long Time
    Rush
    • Closer to the Heart
    Cheap Trick
    • Aint That Ashame

Kiss
    • Sure Know Somethin
    • I was Made For Lovin You
    Dire Straights
    • Sultans of Swing
    Dr and the Medics
    • Spirit in the Sky
    Eric Claptin
    • Cocaine
    • Wonderful Tonight
    Scandal
    • The Warrior
    Styx
    • Renegade
    The Kinks
    • All Day and All of the Night
    Tone Loc
    • Funky Cold Medina
    • Wild Thing
    U2
    • With or Without You
    Yes
    • Owner of a Lonely Heart
    Grand Funk
    • Some Kind of Wonderful
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

OK - don't take this the wrong way, but you asked:

While I'm an old guy (50+) and grew up with many of those songs I do think that list is really outdated. Plus it almost seems like you took these artists and picked their most worn-out, tired songs (with a few exceptions). There are some bands I've never heard of on there (probably a Canadian thing). I'd almost just list some influences and leave it at that rather than sending that whole list.

And to get nitpicky - there are several typos in band names and song titles that might signal a lack of attention to detail to some people. I know, it's a weekend warrior band not some corporate office job, but still... Again - I'd leave the full list out.

I must say though - I haven't thought about Helix, Dwight Twilley, or Nazareth's version of "This Flight Tonight" (did you know it's a cover of Joni Mitchell?) in a LOT of years - good stuff:D
  3. sm49341

sm49341

My advice is just forget showing the song list. Makes you sound rigid, and unwilling to do other guys song ideas. Truth is you might get into a band the plays your fav genre, but none of those and you'd still love it.
    We just hired a guitarist after weeks of contacts. I always hated the guys that were naming specific songs 30 seconds into the conversation.
    As for your list, ya, Most cover bands play some of those, but no cover band would play all of them.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

As mentioned the song list will put off younger players.
    As a younger player, I don't recognize most of the names listed! Approx 30% of that is stuff I'm familiar with. Look to add some more recent songs that still fit the style, if you can.

Also worth noting... **environment**.
    Spelling makes for a good first impression.
    Just sayin'.
  5. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yeah, this.

( Northern Pikes? 54-40? Whoa...."now there's a name i haven't heard in a long time")

And definitely the spelling hmm...Montly Crew? Springstin? Lenord Skynard? Claptin?

The song choice betrays your age but the spelling tells me you're 14...
  6. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

So, I am more than likely sending a negative, image to others, or maybe they are just not understanding me then!

I might even come off as sounding a bit pompous with the whole list thing. I actually thought of this before. I just want to show where my interests and likes are, maybe I am too rigid as mentioned before.

I just find that if I don't show my likes all I get are responses from guys wanting to do stuff like Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age and a multitude of other things that I can't tolerate like Death Metal and Thrash. I have tried just mentioning just Classic Rock and Blues Rock with no mention of likes or dislikes and I still get the same few responses.

To tell the truth I hardly ever listened to the radio through the entire decade of the 90's because all that I could find was grunge and thrash etc... which never done it for me. Infact it is only in the past 8 years I started playing again and listening to the radio. Though there are a few bands I like now like Seether, I am very much stuck back in the 70's and 80's, and find most of wha is on the radio now garbage.

Is there any help for me?

Also living in a small Canadian hick town don't help either. It's either Country or Dearth Metal AGGH!! to both :rollno:
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

"Willingness to get together to work on new material" would get my antennas tuned to your ad.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Try posting an ad like this and see if you get more calls - "Rock Bass Player Available."
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

It probably is that you're in a limited market. I'd expect that classic rock may well be popular where you are (it is in New Hampshire hick towns...), but that the classic rock bands are all set and it's the country and metal bands that have a hard time filling rosters, so they're the ones prowling kijiji for bassists...

I agree on dropping the set list. The reason is not that it looks arrogant or anything, but it can imply that you're not flexible. If I have a band and I see that, and the songs on YOUR set list are not the songs on MY set list, then I wonder how you'll be with having to learn different songs. In my very first band we brought in a singer/guitarist who sang and played well, thought it would be great. Then weeks and weeks went by and the guy just couldn't learn new songs! He had 15 or 20 that he knew, and that was it. Just say you want to play classic rock, and if you get contacted by someone who thinks Nirvana is classic rock, politely say "no thanks."
  10. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

How large is the areas population? I can put an add up for punk or metal and get no hits. There just aint that many bands in the area and 90% of the musicians are flakes.
  11. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

12. ejmy

ejmy

Hope you didn't sign the ad with STRAT HATER, that might turn off a few. Considering that a lot of players in the genre you describe are using a Strat. LOL
  13. obimark

obimark

IMHO- In Atl the demand for "Classic Rock" cover bands is almost non-existent. Other than in some "hole in the wall" clubs way-up North (and I mean way up North like 25 minutes north of the city). It is TOUGH to find any place to play.

In the city most people either want to hear "Alterna-Girl" with her acoustic guitar and whining, a fake gangsta-rapper or no band at all in the form of a DJ who can put out all the artificial stuff younger folk like to dance to for 4-hours without a break.

This has been my experience.

UNLESS you are an already gigging fully formed band then your list means nothing. You aren't a full band so lose it.
  14. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Okay, being that you're in a remote area, opportunities are few, and you seem to really want to get in a band... enough to make some compromises... here are some thoughts:

-I can really relate to your song list, but I agree with others that you're making yourself look inflexible with the full list, giving too much information which also looks a little desperate.

-I also think your "interests" is too focused on hard rock. I love all those songs but IMO it's not the best cover band material. Even though I like the material, if I were looking to hire someone this would strike me as "not into the kind of music that works for my variety band."

-Agree with Joe Louvar, simply state you're a classic rock cover bassist. Give more info than that, but don't make yourself one-dimensional.

-Unfortunately, most ads in my area are for metal or punk bands too. I'm like you, wouldn't want that, and I think those bands are not going to be as successful as a pop-rock-country variety band, but still they make up the bulk of ads running.

-Have you played country music in a cover band before? I'm not a big country fan, but it can be really fun to play, especially if you're in a remote or "country" area and audiences like it. There are some great country dance songs that really get people going and it can be big fun. You might consider opening up to that.

-Don't worry about weeding out the "wrong" people. Just attract as much response as you can and weed them out as they come in. You can see that by trying to weed them out with the wording of your ad you're not getting much response.

-And yeah, NO TYPOS!! :D

This is something like I would write:

Cover Band Bassist Available

I am interested in doing some local stuff for fun and make a few $$$. Looking for an ego free environment and some guys that are serious about making some music and having a bit of weekend warrior fun. I like classic rock but am open to whatever works to get the ladies dancing! [put something about your experience if possible].

Good luck!
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

So what? Is it so hard to reply to an email saying no thanks? The more responses you get, the better chance you'll find something you like.
  16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

With a population of 90,000, there must be some open jams going on. Go to one or two and you'll meet other players.
  17. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you need to open your musical mind a bit more. I love the mind expanding aspect of a band - being introduced to different tunes and bands. As one poster said above, country can be a blast to play, and I've spent most of my life despising country music.

Also, you are writing entire decades of music off as crap because you don't like the hits from those eras. Dig a bit deeper and you'll find lots of incredible music written in the past 20-30 years, just as good as the stuff written in the 'classic rock' years. As an example, Pearl Jam was labelled a grunge band, but their 20+ year catalog includes a huge variety of tunes. I defy anyone to listen to their entire catalog and not find one tune that they like.

When you start jamming with some people you may find that they can take a song that you think is crap and turn it into a gem. One guy in our jam band hauled out 'Head FUll of Doubt" by the Avett Brothers. We were all blown away by it and it's become one of our favorites. I had never heard the original before hearing it at the jam, but I don't really care for it - dude in our band sings it way better.

So, drop the list and be willing to jam with people and learn to love playing great songs regardless of when or by whom they were written.
  18. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Remove *Mustang Sally* from the song list. Many bass players flatly refuse to play this song, and there are many reputable venues that prohibit playing this song. :D
  19. Dug2

Dug2

maybe mention that u play bass. other than u being here i couldnt tell
    wat instrument u play
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Perhaps too much info ...

Make your ad shorter and more generic.