No Roscoes in iconic NYC shops

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Asher S, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Asher S

Asher S Supporting Member

I just returned from a terrific few days in NYC. While there I checked out the bass stock at Sam Ash and at Rudy's (the shops near Times Sq). Saw lots of amazing basses (including several Foderas, Sadowskys, Zon, Pensa, tons of truly vintage Fenders) but no Roscoes! I realize some of the aforementioned other brands are made in NYC, but in this day and age there should have been some Roscoes there.
  2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I hear 'ya, having shopped in NYC all my life. To be honest, Bass Specialties in Bensalem PA (about 90 minutes from NYC) is better than all of 48th Street combined. It seems likely to me that the Century Standards especially would sell like hotcakes on 48th St, but I guess the vast majority of the shoppers there are looking for 500-600 dollar instruments. Glad you had a good time in the city though :)
  3. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've been tryin' to get our stuff on the wall at 48th street from my first day here...no joy. Don't know WHAT the issue is, but can't get through the door.

We'd love to get in one of those shops, and one day I may just have to take a trip to NYC (oh, the humanity! ;) ) and visit a few places with some basses to get their attention.

:ninja:

Definitely agree on Bass Specialties, great shop and Glenn is a great guy and player (and Roscoe owner from before the shop's existence - I sold him his first Roscoe when I was working at Bass Central!)
  4. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Maybe on my next layover there I should act as a "special envoy" for Roscoe. Basically, I'd just walk into a shop with a wad of cash saying "I'm ready to buy a Roscoe right this minute! Oh wait, you don't have any. Damn. Oh well, I guess I'll just give another shop my gobs of money" ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

I've mentioned this to Gard, but I too was in Times Square (the day of the failed car bomb in June a few years ago...), and hit the 48th St. shops. I was bummed they didn't have any Roscoes as well, however I did get to meet and hang out with Larry Hartke in Rudy's for over an hour (to my wife's shagrin!). He agreed that Roscoe basses are fantastic but he didn't own the joint so he couldn't start the process. Lots of Sadowsky's, Fenders and the like..... I am sad too that G-Guitars in New Haven is gone; they were the only "local" Roscoe shop for me. Thankfully we have Mr. Greg Bump!

I think Gard needs to hit the Big Apple and then (of course) Boston where I will show him a Wicked Good Time in Kenmore Squaaare.
  7. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    You do that and get a dealer in NYC, you don't buy beer in Greensboro, NC. Ever.

;)
  8. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Hey, that's a plan I like...now how to PAY for it! :meh:

:)
  9. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

10. Asher S

Asher S Supporting Member

Count me in on any Boston visit. All we really have here is Guitar Center... :crying:

... and Berklee!!!