No sound from Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassicPlayer93, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BassicPlayer93

BassicPlayer93

Ok i literally just bought a Musicman Sterling SUB ray4 brand new. I got home plugged it in to this little Roland cube just to hear it and nothing. I havent tested it on any other amp so Im really hoping it has nothing to do with the pickups because there is no way they can already be busted can they? i tried adjusting the pickup height, the action height all to no avail. however when i play a string extremely hard a small buzz of the note will sound, so i have no idea what the hell is going on :/ any advice, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Have you tried a different cord?
    Volume knob on bass is turned up?
    Battery?
  3. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

If it has active pickups then u should change the battery
  4. BassicPlayer93

BassicPlayer93

yea i already swapped the battery and nothing, im hoping its not a problem with the pots or pickups
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Unplug the cord from the bass, with the other end plugged into your amp. Turn your amp on with the volume on the lowish side. Take a 9v battery and touch the end of the plug that would go into the bass... sort of sideways making contact of the plug with the 2 contacts of the battery. You should hear a hum type sound every time you make contact. If yes... it's not your amp or the cord... but something with the bass. At least that narrows it down...
  7. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I'm in the middle of working out a similar problem. My electronics are noisier than the bass signal itself. I contacted Sterling. Best of Luck!
  8. ibateur

ibateur

Send it back! A brand new anything should not come DoA.
  9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Hey OP(basicplayer93) we'd be curious to know if you ever got sound out of your new bass. I hope it wasn't something as simple as, the amp wasn't plugged in.