1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

No sound from Fender Deluxe Jazz bass (active)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jordan2, Sep 15, 2013.

1. jordan2

jordan2

Hey guys, recently I have had an issue with my bass (fender deluxe jazz bass mim)and figured I would see if anyone here has experience with my problem or suggestions before I take it into the shop.

About a week ago when playing through an amp my bass started crackling loudly. It would be fine for a while and then I would barely touch the cable and it would crackle again. I changed the battery and that made it a little bit better right when I put it in but it didn't solve the problem and still crackled and popped. A day or two later I plugged it in and got no sound except for the occasional pop when I jiggled the cable around the output jack. I've checked inside and all of the connections look fine, and there don't seem to be any obvious issues. Do any of you have an idea of what this could be?

Thank you
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

With the control panel off, check the engagement of the plug.

After that check the pots closely that they have the "fingers" holding the top and
    bottom of the pot together properly.

My Mids knob pulled out, loosing all mids. Maybe your vol knob is the culprit....?
  3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If jiggling the cable affects it, the problem is *almost* certainly with the cable itself or the jack. You might want to try bending the hot clip in toward the center a bit for better contact with the cable's plug.
  4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Sounds like you have a loose and probably now broken connection somewhere inside the bass. If wiggling the cable helped then it is likely to be in or near the output jack. On the other hand the one thing you do not mention checking is the cable and that could certainly be the problem too.
  5. jordan2

jordan2

I have checked with a couple of cables already so I know it isn't the cable. I'm gonna try putting a bit of light pressure on the pots and looking over it again..
  6. jordan2

jordan2

After messing around a bit more I've noticed that I am getting sound when I have the tone knob on the bridge pick up side but as soon as I get to half way or straight up it cuts out completely and I get nothing on the neck pick up side.

Any other ideas?