No Sound from my Brand New ESP LTD D-5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by riverasampayo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Last week I purchased online a ESP LTD D-5 bass guitar. Excellent reviews overall for item (neckthrough body with ESP SB-5 Set pick ups and Vol / Bal w/ ESP ABQ3 3-Band Active EQ).

Maybe is bad luck, but as I plugged it to my Amp Combo I found there was getting no output AT ALL - NOTHING (this was two days ago). I tested replacing the battery. Not worked. I plugged my old bass back (with active electronics as well) to check if it was an AMP/Line issue and the old bass worked as always. I put the original battery back. After couple of minutes I re-plugged the bass guitar and suddenly it worked.

Today had the same issue (no output). I don't want to open the battery holder again (I would rather returned as the bass is yet under a 40 days return policy) as I could damage something loss the opportunity to return the bass guitar.

I would like to know (this is my first bass purchase) if I am doing something wrong, if its a simple issue I am not paying attention to or if I should just should simply return the bass guitar.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kaappari

Kaappari

Sounds like a problem in the electronics. I would return it rather than fixing it my self or paying someone else to do it for me.

3. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Thanks Kaappari. It is wierd but I plugged it today and got sound (low volume though!). I don't plan to try to fix it. I wonder still if this a battery issue I am not able to troubleshoot.

4. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    You might want to make sure the battery is clipping in good - for whatever reason I have had a number of new basses, from various manufacturers that had reall cheap or poorly fitting clips. And what's up with the 1/2"(1 cm) of wire on some - you could rip them loose just popping the battery out. Replaced one last week for that reason...just wanted like 1.5" more.

Yeah, take it back and let them dink with it. Or open the control cavity and make sure any push on clips are secure. Could be as simple as a bum jack if an active bass.

Oh, regarding batteries,especially alkaline. IF you use one of those simple battery testers the battery may show good but if held there for say 30 seconds it may fall off quickly. A fresh battery will stay put for several minutes before falling. Alkalines will bounce back to almost full voltage but then fall rapidly under an actual load.

That's a drag...you wait for the bass and then there is a glitch. And probably something ridiculously small.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Thanks Edpal. The vendor suggested me to replace the battery with a fresh one and check before deciding to send the bass guitar back to them.

7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

And did that work ?