NOBD......Gibson EB3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cajunbass1985, Feb 19, 2013.

1. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

I picked up this Gibson EB3 from my uncle this weekend. He has had it for a long time my other uncle bought it new. I don't know the year on it. It's a little rough but for what paid I can't complain($300) Everything works perfectly on this bass. Does anyone know how the switch works like which position is for neck pickup only ect.

Attached Files:

2. dminer

dminer

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3.php The 4 way switch is a varitone switch and others could chime in on it's function, but I don't think it's a pickup switch. This site will give you a good start as to year ect...KOOL bass..... cherish it, never change it and think of your Uncle whenever you play it. Also, check out THE LAST BASS OUTPOST for lots o Gibson love and knowledge.
  3. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

Oh i will this thing sounds great. I don't know much about gibson eb3`s but it plays nice. I have a few other basses but this will get alot of play.
  4. Dluxe

Dluxe

Great deal! With the 3 point bridge it is mid to late 70's. What is the serial number on back of the headstock?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

Looks to be 100096 but it is hard to read
  7. 66Atlas

66Atlas Supporting Member

Varitone Positions:
    1 - Neck P/U with choke
    2 - Bridge P/U
    3 - Both Pickups
    4 - Neck P/U no choke
  8. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

Thanks for the varitone positions i could tell a difference but wasnt sure what was what. All i need to do is find a bridge cover hopefully an old one.
  9. GM60466

GM60466

Change the bridge and play it hard.
  10. 66Atlas

66Atlas Supporting Member

Theres a seller listing NOS ones on ebay for 20 bucks each (not endorsing the guy just mentioning it). Personally I'm in the camp of people that realy like the 3 point bridge so if I were you I'd keep it, get the cover and enjoy the bass.
  11. bumperbass

bumperbass

If there's no holes for a bridge cover already, I'd definitely leave it alone!
    Just play it, man! That was my first bass in '67-'68. Wish I could find one for $300. You did good! Resist the temptation to sell it, even if times get rough.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with that bridge. The thing to do with something like that which came through your family is DO NOT MODIFY IT. Keep it as is, and enjoy it. You will be very well served by that bass exactly the way it's set up now.

Your uncle made you an "in family" price. You got a great deal on that...and I'm guessing he intends for you to keep it.
  13. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

The holes are there im guessing it came with it. I'm not gonna mod it in:bassist: any way. I'm not going to sale it if i can help it. I've been after him for years to buy it. I've offers from friends already for a good amount more than i paid but I can't sale it. Its just to fun to play.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Good for you! :bassist:
  15. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

The smiley was supposed to be at the end this phone sucks.
  16. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

He made ne a buch of good deals a univox semi hollow guitar(100) and a fender bassman cab(with an EV EVM15L in it for some reason: and old peavey head(100) and I'm keeping them all.
  17. cajunbass1985

cajunbass1985

A picture of the back of it.Going to take some more pictures later.

Attached Files:

18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Nice score. Great bass. Do not modify. Play and enjoy.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd be playing along to Alice Cooper's Killer, Love It To Death, and Billion Dollar Babies with a bass like that.

Use a pick & rock it up! Great buy! Cool bass! Do not alter it at all!
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I wouldn't muck with it change the strings to your liking but for me that would be it.
  21. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Thats pretty sweet and for $300! Id put some flats on it and Boom Boom Boom.

Congrats