Noise Filters......

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Anybody use those "noise filters" that plug into an a/c outlet and then you plug in your equipment into that...

RadioShack used to sell all kinds and varieties of them..

Have an issue that when the furnace comes on in the basement (or my wife is using her mixer upstairs) my stereo amp a.m. radio gets a crackling noise on top of the broadcast.

If you use one of those filters and it works....what brand was it?
  2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The 'noise' may be being picked up by the antenna of the AM radio rather than the AC line.

Like static you hear on the radio when there is a thunder storm/lightning in the area.
  3. ZenG

ZenG

It doesn't happen on my boombox (which has am/fm radio with telescopic aerial)

only happens on the stereo amp radio ........and on that one it only does it on a.m......not fm......

Where would you use a "Broadband Noise Filter" anyhow?
  4. ddnidd1

Sounds like an issue with the radio. The interference I mentioned is always much more prevalent on an AM radio than on an FM.

Plus I would think if its an AC problem more than one device would experience the problem.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZenG

ZenG

Allrighty...thanks....
  7. ddnidd1

Also if it was an AC problem into the audio circuit, you would hear it on both AM and FM.