1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Noise from other strings on 5er

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GBassLondon, Jul 11, 2013.

1. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before (couldn't find it though)- does anyone find they get more sympathy noise from other strings when playing a 5er? Not even talking about the B- I anchor on it

Basically I have a lakland skyline 44-01 (4 string) with new steel strings and I get no unwanted string noise. On my vintage v950b (5er), I get loads, but it's got old nickels on it, which I would expect to be quieter? Do other people find this on 5ers or could it be a setup thing like pickup height?
  2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

When I moved from 4's to 5's and 6's I had to totally redo my right hand technique, look up the floating thumb technique. It's been amazing for me.
  3. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

If you are anchoring on the pickup, B string or using the floating thumb technique, you can still get noise from your other higher strings (d, g for example)
    What you may need to work on is muting with also your left hand. I use both hands to mute all the non wanted strings. It may take time and you may need to go back to basics a little bit, but once you get is sussed it becomes just part of your standard technique and hey presto, no more unwanted noise. :p

Good luck buddy
  4. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

Thanks for the replies! I do a bit of floating thumb but I'm not very disciplined with it. I can noise when say I pluck a note on the e string then move up to d or g. Perhaps it's a case of not moving the thumb every time. What I find odd is that I don't get it on my 4 string with steels!
  5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I never noticed anything wrong with my technique until I got a 5er - 4-strings are definitely more forgiving when it comes to muting. Floating thumb helped me a lot, so that when I'm reaching to the D or G strings I have all the other strings muted.