1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Noise In a Pedal Chain - Is my TU-2 the problem?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TMFoodBass, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Disclosures:
    None
    Looking to the TB universe for some advice:

Currently running a very small pedalboard setup.

TU-2 -> Homemade passive Volume/Mute -> Empress Multidrive -> Earthquaker Dipatch Master -> (soon to be adding a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe at the end as a pre-amp. :D

I have been using the TU-2 to power the whole thing via daisy chain.

I was playing this setup at my church yesterday and was dealing with a high pitched whistle when the passive volume was cranked, and it got even worse when the Dispatch master was engaged. The empress didn't effect it. Also experiencing major POP when engaging the Dispatch Master or mute.
    Before this comes up, I have tested the Homemade Volume/mute away from the pedalboard and had no problems.

Could the TU-2 be the problem here? Is there another solution other than having to find room on my PT mini for a power supply?

Thanks.

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Try running the dispatch master on its own power. Some pedals really don't like to share power.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Also, are you running the daisy chain on battery power from the tu-2 or from an adapter? If it happens to be battery power make sure to use an adapter instead.

4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

The loud pop sounds like a result of True Bypass. You may just have to engage those pedals a couple of times after powering them up. I agree with Russpurdy. You may have to take each pedal out one at a time before getting a dedicated power supply. You may have to go that route though.

7. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Disclosures:
    None
    Sorry. Forgot to mention that.

Yeah, I'm using an adapter to the TU-2 and running all the pedal off of the TU-2's power output.

8. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

I had a similar issue with my chain; I changed to a OneSpot adapter and daisy chain and the noise went away. Tried that as a cheaper alternative first and it worked.

9. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Disclosures:
    None
    I was thinking to try that first and stop using the tuner as a power supply.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont use my TU-2 in my signal chain. It sucks out about 10-20% of my volume. I was kind of pissed when I discovered that.

I still use the TU-2 to power other pedals (if there is a particularly hungry one that doesnt like being linked up with the rest) and use a Joyo "power brick" to power the majority.

Nothing wrong with a noise gate. ISP is a great pedal.