1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Noise Rock/Noise Punk of TB

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by andrew, Dec 25, 2013.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    This thread can be a general discussion about noise rock/ noise punk and the bassists who drive those bands, but I'm also interested to hear from the members here who play in bands of this ilk.

If your bands are influenced by Shellac, the Jesus Lizard, Uzeda, Unwound, Big Black, Scratch Acid, etc then please post links to your music and tell us about the gear you use to make it.
  2. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  3. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-LHuK0mGk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is my old band featuring a less bearded, fatter, fuller head of hair me. For fans of Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Faith No More, The VSS and a whole lot of other stuff. Gear used was always a GK 800RB an Ampeg 8x10, Gibson Grabber and a rotation of pedals. The only constant pedals were a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail a Whammy and a Muff Fuzz I made.

My new band is a 3 piece and will be recording at the end of January and I am really stoked on it. Influenced by Unwound, Chavez, The Fall, Shellac, and all sorts of other stuff.
  4. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

do a cover of GO4 "Found that Essence Rare" with the band I'm with. Use to do Damaged Goods too but have since dropped it from our set list.
  5. Denver Max

Denver Max

Just started a project with a new guy. Influenced by The Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, and The Blood Brothers. I don't know how anyone around here feels about the Blood Brothers, but they're one of my all time favorites.

I think we're going with the name Neon Black. I'll post something when we have more than little scratch tracks recorded.

Currently playing a Squier Jazz bass with flatwounds through a Bass Big Muff Pi into a small but surprisingly loud (but not gig-worthy) Peavey 1x12. My main amp (currently being repaired) is a GK 1x15 that will soon be enhanced by a Fender Rumble 2x10. I have a Rusty Box and a smallsound/bigsound mini on the way soon. Right now, I use the Muff almost all the time with the tone and sustain both at 3 o clock and the bass boost switch on. Gives me some nice sharp edge, while retaining a decent amount of low end. A little wimpy for my needs though, so it will probably get replaced before too long. And I use Dunlop jazz iii picks only.
  6. Phe

Phe

Here is some noisy stuff, influenced by noisy stuff. I play bass VI on these (Epiphone EB6 Jr. Modded from EB0.) through Peavey Mark III Series and I think I had my TL 606 at this point (DIY). Some effects and a slide.

https://soundcloud.com/troutmen
  7. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Very cool!
  8. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Denver Max, I'm a Blood Brothers fan too. Saw them live a bunch of times, they always put on a good show.
  9. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Not one our noisiest tune, but the Unwound/Chavez influence is in it. this is from our second ever show at some kids parents mansion.
    After the show somebody told me they thought we sounded like late 70s post punk mixed with 90s Matador Records. Seems cool to me.

10. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nice!
  11. alecduncan

alecduncan Supporting Member

I'm loving this! Any shows coming up? I'm in Detroit.
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Nothing booked at the moment. Got an EP coming out in June or July..

You got a band? Maybe we can set up a gig?
  13. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

been doing the slow thing, still love big black and unwound, but listening to sleep and motordrone too nowadays as well as jesus and mary chain's barbed wire kisses