Noiseless Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I may soon be in the market for some noiseless Jazz pickups, so what are you guys using to get rid of the hum but keep most of that single coil snap and huge rich bottom end?

If I do it, I will be changing from EMG's. I will definitely give the EMG's a fair shake, but in the past I haven't had much luck with them working with my effects even though I like the sound of the pickups clean.

How are the Bart noiseless single coil Classic Bass pickups? Like the CBJD1 or JD3?
  2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Which EMG's though, I've had different experiences going from TW's in my 6 string Clement and to a PJX set in my Fender when using effects, the X series definitely works better when using distortion and fuzz effects ( I thought it was just the GT-10B sounding horrible).

This also was confirmed when I upgraded to the TWX's in my Clement. Though that babe is waiting for some SGD's now. I really dig how the PJX set works with both the GT-10B distortion models and the Darkglass B3K. Lots of grunty gnarly beefy nasty ... sound outta that setup.

For passive pickups, the DiMarzios are some of my favorites.. I have not tried the Bartolini CB's but I really want to as well..
  3. tylerwylie

ALSO: The EMG's have never hummed or buzzed even with my bass close to my computer...All other pickups in my other basses.. even in fully shielded bass guitars ... have exhibited a little hum or buzz from the interference.
  4. mmbongo

Not sure what model, probably just their standard Jazz pickups.

EMG's are definitely quiet, if they work better with my effects than other EMG's did then I won't change them if they sound good. I've got a bass here now that has EMG Jazz pickups in it, and it's not doing well through effects either. EMG's just seem to make all my overdrives sound exactly the same no matter what they are....dull, muddy, and lifeless. Sound great clean, though!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tylerwylie

Gotta try the X series yo.
  7. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

I put a pair of Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups in one of my basses a few months back & I absolutely love them! Sound great, no hum & reasonably priced.
  8. mmbongo

Yeah the cheaper the better!

Barts are $125 a set, having trouble finding something to beat that.
  9. tylerwylie

DiMarzio's should be around 100. Model J set would be a good bet.
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

The stock "Noiseless" pickups in the Fender MIM Active Jazz Deluxe are quite nice.
    I prefer them to the N3s that come in the MIA Dlx.
  11. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Tried the DiMarzio Model J on my cheap Squier CV, and they sound great. I'll try Ultra J in my old MIM (at the present it wears SD Quarter Pounders, I'm not so crazy about them).
    Di Marzio are nice and unexpensive, give them a try.
  12. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Model J's will give huge bottom end (very P like) and will be quiet, but they are humbuckers and don't sound anything like single coils. They are awesome and I recommend them, but not if the OP is looking for ones that sound like single coils.

Good Luck!
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I slapped a pair of DiMarzio DP123s in my CIJ Jazz FL. Love 'em. They have a nice round low end, good bite and great clarity. Plus, the adjustable poles are a real plus in my book. They are also individually humbucking, so you can mix the PUs any way you want without hum. I'm not sure I'd say they're absolutely noiseless, but they are quiet and I'm picky like that.
  15. Atoz

Atoz

I've done some reading on these, and some people are describing the 123s as "P-like" in tone as opposed to "growly." Would you agree with that?

I'm thinking of swapping out the Fender Noiseless pups in my MIM Jazz Deluxe (they sound kind of "sterile" to me, if that makes sense), but I already have a P.
  16. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, I'm using LaBella DTB rounds on this particular bass. My take is that there is a P-bass element to the sound (which I love - big and round lows) coupled with a really nice growl (and mind you these DTB rounds are dead - perfect for a FL, IMO).

Since it's a FL, I cannot comment specifically as to whether the growl is from the strings, the rosewood fingerboard, or the PUs. Compared to my FLs with flats, it sure is more growly, if you get my point. I will say that after putting in the DiMarzio 123s, I am smiling like a cheshire cat. It has all fallen into place.
  17. Atoz

Atoz

Interesting, thank you for your perspective. I might have to test drive a set.
  18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I've tried a few noiseless J sets, and currently have three:

1. Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz in a 2003 Am. Series Fender. These are probably my favorite, as they are pretty close to typical vintage-voiced single coils, but with fatter lows and slightly attenuated highs. They also have nice warmth and growl.

2. DiMarzio Area J in a 2010 G&L JB. These don't have the same thick lows as the Fralins, and probably sound a little closer to typical MIA Fender single coils, with excellent clarity all over the fretboard. They are great, especially for the price, and in a band mix are similar to the Fralins.

3. Joe Bardens in a 2008 MIA Jazz V. I just got these last week, and due to a finger injury have barely used them. But my impression is that they do for a J-bass what his guitar pickups do for Strats and Teles -- provide a bigger, fuller, punchier version of the instrument's characteristic tone. It still sounds like a J-bass, but just more of everything. This works for me in theory, but they have yet to see real action so I'll reserve definitive judgment. So far, though, they seem awesome.

I've also used Nordstrand's NJ5FS, which were in the Jazz V before the Bardens. Similar to the Bardens in some ways, but not as heavy sounding on the low strings, and probably more "zing" in the highs. Very good, but I think I prefer the Bardens in this bass. I'd better, because they were damned expensive!
  19. mmbongo

Interesting stuff! Bardens are out for me, I'll never touch another Barden product in my life. Worst customer service and poorest quality I've ever encountered. This was before he went out of business the first time, though. Maybe he's changed. Don't care.

Anyway! Thanks for the info. I've always been a DiMarzio fan, and I had the Area single coils in my Zion guitar before I sold it. They were amazing.
  20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I've read many great things about DiMarzio's Area guitar pickups. My Strat has Lace Sensor Hot Golds, which are fantastic IMO, but I'd love to try some Areas, maybe in a Tele.

You really can't go wrong with the Area J's if you want classic J-bass tone without the hum. IMO, they are much better than the noiseless pickups in Fender's MIM Deluxe models, whatever those are.
  21. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I have two 5 stringers, one with Ultra Jazz pickups and one with Area Js. Ultras give you that modern slightly scooped sound and Areas give a more vintage tone. My preference would probably be Area Js with a two band preamp.