Noiseless P/J Pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fogoverla, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

I picked up a modified mid 80s Fender P bass with an added J. It has a rosewood fingerboard, and came with bartolinis installed. I am not a huge fan on the subdued sound of them. I am planning on changing the V/V/T to s 3 way switch and V/T. I want to get a noiseless J pickup.

Wilde Pickups P/J?

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P and Hotstack J?

Looking for other suggestions.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

While I know nothing about what makes one noiseless set better than another, or what makes them noiseless to begin with, the fender scn jazz pickups on my MIM fretless sound great.
  3. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

I believe most noiseless Jazz pickups use two stacked single coils one of then reversely wound to cancel the 60 cycle hum (roll the volume off one jazz pickup and you'll hear it).
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Made with the same technology as Fender's "Noiseless" guitar pickups, but voiced for that unmistakable Jazz Bass tone. Special magnets and enamel coated magnet wire along with Fender's "Noiseless" technology produce a unique vintage sound without that annoying 60-cycle buzz.

I'd like to try the SCN pu's someday also.

I have Fenders split-coil Super 88's in a J and they sound great. Another option.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+1 on the Super 88's.

I just assembled a P/J project using one (bridge position) alongside a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder (neck). The only noise I pick up is when I'm practicing in front of my computer station (where I'm surrounded by tons o' tech). But when I was plugged in at a recording studio, not a buzz to be heard outside my own clumsy noodling. :oops:

I must also add that it's surprisingly beefy for a bridge pickup.
  7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I like the SCN in my passive Fretless jazz as well . Designed for Fender by Bill Lawrence. . Great passive tone . In my John East Retro J pre amped Fretless j , I have Du Marzio Js and love them .( noiseless as well )
  8. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Ive installed a set of Delano HE p/js (wired passive) into my 77 P. They are dead silent in all configurations, and provide a super hot/punchy/clean signal. perfect.
  9. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have 3 sets of Nordstrand NPJ4SE's in my passive PJ basses and I have no complaints. Totally quiet, very accurate and articulate.
    Rocky
  10. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

I was looking at the nordstrands, I like their tone, has anyone used aguilar pickups?

I don't see the super 88s available anymore pretty much anywhere.
  11. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

My latest Jag came with a noiseless J at the bridge and an american standard P in the middle. The P eats the hell out of the Noiseless, so I find myself using only the P. I'm actually considering either a Seymour Duncan SJB 3 or a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz for the bridge, but I would like to hear some feedback about that too.
  12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I put in an Aguilar set and think they're great. The hum cancelling J makes them totally quiet in any ratio - I'm running them passive V-V-T.

I also really like that the J output is very balanced against the P. Very muscular, excellent definition and they sit great in the mix.

There are a number of excellent P/J sets and I count this among them.
  13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I really like the Hanson Neopunch P pickup, and they make a PJ set. Just another one to check out.
  14. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Thinking about the aguilars, amazon has the pj set for under 200. If the aguilars balance so well then I may keep the V/V/T set up. I have not found a fender p bass pickguard with 4 holes in it, do I need to drill my own? Should I be concerned with shielding the aguilars, or nordy or hansons?
  15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    You can buy them all day on ebay w/varying prices to choose from.
  16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

There is no need to shield the Aguilars as they are already hum cancelling.

Having said that I shield all of my basses as a matter of course.
  17. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Copper tape under the pickguard and lining the cavity? Would it be better to paint the cavity? I still have not removed the pickguard, so I have no idea what I am dealing with.
  18. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Wilde pickups from Bill Lawrence. Can't lose with this PJ set.
  19. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    i like the dimarzio p/j set. hum cancelling jazz in the bridge, great growl, and a great deal for $99. then you can be hair metal again....you know you want to.
  20. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Well I don't really know what I want. I want to keep a passive set up, I hate the way the J pickup sounds now, it seems weak compared to the P. I am replacing the pots to 250k CTS pots and a switchcraft jack.

I want the J to sit well by itself and with the P. I would like something in between modern and vintage sound.
  21. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

I get a lot of sustain from the BA II bridge, planning on replacing the nut with a bone nut at some point, if the pickups are too hot am I going to have an issue with low action?

Attached Files: