noisy electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass56, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bass56

bass56

Hi everyone, I have a Schecter Stilletto Studio fretless 5 that has had all the electronics (except the pickups) replaced by Schecter. The noise has changed from a whiny squeal to a hiss which is to audible to play with the treble EQ knob any higher than 1/4. Of course as hard as they tried, Schecter could not hear the noise. At this point I'm thinking of making this bass passive. It has EMG Hz40 pickups. Any thoughts ? Thanks, TC
  2. iRainev

iRainev

I have the same hiss when I turn up my highs . I have a stiletto custom 6 . Can it be a grounding issue ? But I want to keep it active .
  3. xsogol

xsogol

I've heard EMG Hz pickups passive and they are not terrible that way. I think if you were to wire the pickups like a Fender J-Bass (vol - vol - tone but using 500K pots as the EMGs are humbuckers) like so:

[​IMG]

and take the pre-amp out of the circuit you should be good.

Are the pickup cavities and control cavity shielded?

In terms of other pickups to plunk in there and wire up passively, I'm a fan of the Bartolini M45s (EMG-40 replacements for 5-string). You can usually find pairs of them floating around here used on TalkBass.
  4. jkonrath

jkonrath Supporting Member

I also have a Stiletto Studio 5 and have the same hiss. Popped open the back and it is shielded. Not sure if I want to rip out the preamp and go straight passive, or a different preamp, or what. I have a set of P/J EMG X pickups in another bass and really like the tone, but I'm not sure I want to pay $99x2 plus a different preamp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

check the ground on your amp. try a different circuit too.